The Olive-Egger thread!

Thank you for all the helpful info. I had no idea that EE could carry the white gene so that is good to know.
All of the blue egg shell breeds can have only one blue--blue is dominant so it only takes one to have blue shells.

Last edited:
I hatched three olive eggers that I think are all boys, but one I'm not positive.
This guy, and one of the others, has three distinct rows on his comb, so I'm sure they are cockerels.

The chick below sort of has three rows. Do you think there is any hope for a pullet? They are the same cross and roughly 7 weeks now.

I hatched three olive eggers that I think are all boys, but one I'm not positive.
This guy, and one of the others, has three distinct rows on his comb, so I'm sure they are cockerels.

The chick below sort of has three rows. Do you think there is any hope for a pullet? They are the same cross and roughly 7 weeks now.

OEs have a combination comb so it is hard to tell gender by looking at it(assuming the cross is EEor AMxMarans). The best way is to look at the wattles.

Thanks for the replies. No wattles on either bird yet, so I guess time will tell. I would be so happy if one of the three turns out to be a pullet. For some reason, I've had a run of heavily male hatches.

Thanks for the replies. No wattles on either bird yet, so I guess time will tell. I would be so happy if one of the three turns out to be a pullet. For some reason, I've had a run of heavily male hatches.
pullets will have no wattles or a small yellow line. cockerels will get a pink line at about 6 weeks old. The wattle does not have to be big--there will be wattles though.

Mine were sexable around 2-4 weeks old, with noticable redness and swelling of the combs. I've got a batch that are around 5 weeks old that I can take a few pics of tomorrow, but you can tell the sex of them from far off and they are younger than yours.

If I had to guess, the first pic might be a pullet, the rest cockerals.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I'll look more closely for wattles.

I should have mentioned that the photo of the first chick with three rows on his comb was taken a couple weeks ago, - he's much redder now. The questionable chick, which I'm reluctantly accepting as male, had a very pale comb for a long time. "He" also had a very bad case of coccidiosis, and I read that could cause pale skin. He did start to redden up after I treated them.

It is interesting to me the variation in colors on these three OE chicks I hatched, because they are all the same cross. Mom is a GCM X Wheaten Ameraucana. Dad is a lavender Ameraucana. One chick is barred:

The questionable one is mostly white with some black:

And the third chick has white, black, and brown, with a darker brown coming in now on the shoulders.

Next year, I'd like to try this cross again, in hopes for more pullets. I was after lighter and more varied green and blue egg shades.

Back
Top Bottom