The Olive-Egger thread!

Wondering if anyone knows what this Olive Egger pullet will look like when mature? I've never grown out a bird with her pattern/color.

Wondering if anyone knows what this Olive Egger pullet will look like when mature? I've never grown out a bird with her pattern/color.

How old is it? ...and what breeds were the parents?
Most the time you just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
My lone Olive Egger (black chick) that hatched is two weeks old now. So friendly. Took her and her hatch mate (a lavender orpington) outside for the first time on Saturday. So cute!

This little black chick is my only olive egger right now. He/she is a cute little booger.
The other black chick is a barred rock mix.

Last edited:
I have a barred rock mix of either a cuckoo maran or buff Rooster. I am leaning towards part cuckoo maran.

I am getting an ameraucana chick (female) and two buffs next week. If I was to hatch her eggs, would I have a chance at an Olive Egger? Would the Barred Rock in him mess the genetics up? I teach biology at a college and plan to try to hatch them next spring in the lab. I am going to have my students work the genetics to see the possible results. I just dont know much about the codominance of chicken genes and egg color.

ALSO, when picking out my ameraucana, what traits should I be looking for? She has them advertised at araucana's but I don't think they are. http://www.clarkfarmbusiness.com/Chickens-for-sale.html

Thats what I thought. Farm doesn't have much of a rep (just found out now). How could I tell the difference between the two?

I am not an expert but blue egg layers have green legs. luckily this farm says they might lay pink eggs. true ameraucanas and araucanas lay blue eggs only.

Back
Top Bottom