The Olive-Egger thread!

The Olive Egger boys - They're half splash Ameraucana and half Marans. Names from left to right are... Mr. Food, Sauté, Red and Golden Wing.
Earlier this month they found big Polk Salad bushes full of berries. For about a week their beards, feet, beaks and bums were purple.

Young Golden Cuckoo olive egger rooster:

Young Recessive white golden cuckoo rooster:

I live in East TN, if anyone wants these guys for free before I put them in the freezer.

So i have some Ameraucana, (hens and roos), one copper moran hen, and one welsummer hen. I also have one ameraucana/moran cross (so olive egger) rooster. If I breed the roo to the hens, am I correct in assuming the mix would be:

Olive Egg Roo w Am Hen: Lighter green eggs some blue eggs (if blue gene from both parents?)
Olive Egg Roo w Moran or Welsummer Hen: Really olive or dark brown (if gets both brown genes)

Based on above it seems best to only go with Olive to Am to get colored eggs...correct? Would they be called EE's or Olive Eggers?

So i have some Ameraucana, (hens and roos), one copper moran hen, and one welsummer hen. I also have one ameraucana/moran cross (so olive egger) rooster. If I breed the roo to the hens, am I correct in assuming the mix would be:

Olive Egg Roo w Am Hen: Lighter green eggs some blue eggs (if blue gene from both parents?)
Olive Egg Roo w Moran or Welsummer Hen: Really olive or dark brown (if gets both brown genes)

Based on above it seems best to only go with Olive to Am to get colored eggs...correct? Would they be called EE's or Olive Eggers?
I think it would be whatever color egg the bird ends up laying. If only olive then Olive Egger. If brown then Easter Eggers because they can lay any color of egg. The name of the breed is Marans not moran. It is written plural, Marans, whether there is one or more of the birds. The color genetics seems correct, except I don't think you will get "dark brown" with that second cross. When Marans are crossed with foreign blood, their eggs get lighter even if there is a chance they might get 2 hits of Marans blood in the cross. I think you will get shade 4 or 5 eggs. I wouldn't be looking for shade 6 and above dark eggs. It takes a lot of concentrating the Marans egg genetics to get that dark.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

OE roo x Am Hen = 1/2 medium gree and 1/2 blue-ish to blue
OE roo X Marans or Welsummer = 1/2 medium green and 1/2 brown eggs.

I agree that you probably won't get dark eggs from those crosses. But, some of the green or brown eggs could be spotted (that would be awesome)

I am trying to figure out what to cross from my flock to get olive eggs without ending up with all black chicks!
I have a splash Isbar that lays a beautiful green egg.
Would crossing her with a black copper Marans throw black chicks or would they be blue?

Back
Top Bottom