The Olive-Egger thread!

I just purchased 6 cream legbar maran cross chicks. I hope to get 3 hens out of the batch but time will tell how we did on that draw. I am adding on to my original coop for more room. Will these ladies start laying at 20 weeks? I haven't found much written on the legbars and have mostly heritage breeds. Hopefully I will be getting some olive eggs this year!!

I just purchased 6 cream legbar maran cross chicks. I hope to get 3 hens out of the batch but time will tell how we did on that draw. I am adding on to my original coop for more room. Will these ladies start laying at 20 weeks? I haven't found much written on the legbars and have mostly heritage breeds. Hopefully I will be getting some olive eggs this year!!
Not sure about CLB, but Marans are often later layers.
Average for most breeds is 18-26 weeks.....Marans may take much longer to start up.
Only time will tell.

My BCM's all started laying at 6 months old or slightly later but when I crossed them with my cream legbar roo, the daughters all started laying at 5 months. Interestingly so did his daughters with other breeds including welsummer (And my welsummers started laying really late, over 8 months) and some mixes.
After breeding for several years I do think the roosters have a pretty big influence on their daughters' laying ability.

Baby number one (F3 Olive Egger)
02/17/2017
Dark grey/green egg lower left corner in picture #1
Eggs purchased via BYC auction from @GardenWren

Back
Top Bottom