The Olive-Egger thread!

Newbie here... I'm interested in breeding for dark green olive eggs. In "theory", which scenario would give me the darkest green eggs?

1) a black copper maran rooster over blue egg layers (EE hens)

2) a black copper maran rooster over F1 Olive egger hens

3) an F1 olive egger rooster over F1 olive egger hens

Thanks!
1. depends on the egg coating darkness of the marans line, and using an EE there's a chance of brown layers.
2. could be darker, but some may be brown layers.
3. could be any shade...and more chance of brown layers.

1. depends on the egg coating darkness of the marans line, and using an EE there's a chance of brown layers.
2. could be darker, but some may be brown layers.
3. could be any shade...and more chance of brown layers.

So if I currently have olive egger hens and EEs who are blue egg layers, should I go with the bcm rooster or the olive egger roo?

Based on what you said, It sounds like maybe the bcm rooster would be a better choice if I am wanting to raise chicks who will lay green. (Although since I am using EEs... there is a chance I will get some brown egg layers no matter what...)

Quote: Best chances for green/olive layers would be the BCM cock/erel over the blue laying EE pullet/hen.

Yep, when using EE anywhere in the mix, there's always a chance for brown layers.
Thinks there's more of a chance for brown layers when using EE cock/erel....
.....and even more chance if using OE cock/erel.

Best chances for green/olive layers would be the BCM cock/erel over the blue laying EE pullet/hen.

Yep, when using EE anywhere in the mix, there's always a chance for brown layers.
Thinks there's more of a chance for brown layers when using EE cock/erel....
.....and even more chance if using OE cock/erel.
Correct on using the BCM cockerel over the EE's. You can stack the odds in your favor if you have bred the EE's yourself and know what is behind them for several generations. I've never had a hint of brown among my EE:s. I get mostly blue eggs with one laying a blue with a very slight green tint...sea blue?

Correct on using the BCM cockerel over the EE's. You can stack the odds in your favor if you have bred the EE's yourself and know what is behind them for several generations. I've never had a hint of brown among my EE:s. I get mostly blue eggs with one laying a blue with a very slight green tint...sea blue?
If you never get a brown or white egg from your layers, your birds have the double blue egg gene. Using double blue egg gene birds guarantees olive when crossed with dark brown egg birds. Anything else and the chances for brown layers increases. A BCM over Olive Egger means you have two copies of the white egg gene from the Marans, one white egg gene and one blue egg gene from the OE. Statistically, only one quarter of the offspring will have the blue egg gene copy to give you olive eggs. F1 x F1 OE will give 3/4 of the offspring with the blue egg gene (2 single copy offspring out of four, one double copy), but you may not get darker olive layers from that cross.

I see. That is all such good information. Thank you!

So, how does a person get a chicken that lays a "super olive egg"....the very dark green eggs? I've seen charts that show the offspring of F1 OE's have the darker eggs than their first generation parents. But it sounds like you have a slim chance of actually getting an F2 chick that has that green gene if you are breeding with EEs. Is there another breed that works better to cross with BCMs?

I see. That is all such good information. Thank you!

So, how does a person get a chicken that lays a "super olive egg"....the very dark green eggs? I've seen charts that show the offspring of F1 OE's have the darker eggs than their first generation parents. But it sounds like you have a slim chance of actually getting an F2 chick that has that green gene if you are breeding with EEs. Is there another breed that works better to cross with BCMs?
Any bird that you are fairly sure has a double copy of the blue egg gene is a better bet. That would be pure Ameraucanas, Cream Legbars, and Auraucanas.

As far as super olives go, it takes many generations of breeding OE's, crossing back to Marans, waiting until lay to see which ones lay green, keeping the green layers, breedings those, raising to lay, cross back to Marans, rinse repeat. It can be a tedious process. There is one breeder that has done this however. His birds are double blue egg gene carriers, lay amazing dark eggs, and breed true. He sells hatching eggs too. Look up Brian Parks of Frasier Creek Farms.

Is Frazier Creek Farms still operating? Everything on the website is dated "look for 2016" dates? I emailed. Waiting for response...
1f91e-1f3fd.png
1f914.png

Back
Top Bottom