The Olive-Egger thread!

I suppose it's also possible that their laying/color hasn't settled down yet as well, I suppose (for me, these are first or second eggs for these girls).

To add to the interest/complexity, in a different pen I have four pullets two weeks younger. They are all daughters of the same lavender ameraucana, but mom is an olive egger I purchased as a chick (with mixed ameraucana, welsummer, and marans background). When I was putting up shade cloth today I found THREE eggs of varying shades of green (two under the roosts, one in the yard). Needless to say, change of plans, and much of the day was spent installing an egg door and putting in nest boxes instead. :rolleyes:

ThreeGreen-062317.JPG

As a result of getting a straight run from Chicken Scratch Poultry I have managed to get quite a few Cockerels from my last purchase. I am now trying to decide who to keep and who must go. My question for those of you raising Olive Eggers is should I keep Olive Egger Roos or the FBCM Roos? It's my understanding that the Olive Egger genes are a first generation gene and you have to have a Roo with dark brown gene with a hen with a blue gene. Any advise from you all? So far I know I have one OE Cockerel that I know I am keeping simply because he is a gentleman already and way friendlier that my others.

My Olive Egger had about the same size comb a few weeks ago at 10weeks. I thought for sure a roo but now I'm changing my mind to pullet. Your's looks similar.
I have one like this that lays green eggs. I had no idea it was a she definitely looks more like a small rooster but when I had them separate this spring cleaning out all the houses and our winter pen she had an egg in her box (surprise) when I went to put her back in the run.

As a result of getting a straight run from Chicken Scratch Poultry I have managed to get quite a few Cockerels from my last purchase. I am now trying to decide who to keep and who must go. My question for those of you raising Olive Eggers is should I keep Olive Egger Roos or the FBCM Roos? It's my understanding that the Olive Egger genes are a first generation gene and you have to have a Roo with dark brown gene with a hen with a blue gene. Any advise from you all? So far I know I have one OE Cockerel that I know I am keeping simply because he is a gentleman already and way friendlier that my others.
I'd keep the FBCM cock/erel.
Where did the OE cock/erels come from...the hatchery or your crosses?
If you use facebook, here's a good place to discuss serious genetics of OE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541575112755530/

Just have to share my happy news...one of my Olive Eggers arrived early yesterday I think I'll have to name her "Early" as she hatched on day 19! I have 5 more external pips this morning and it's day 20. When I put the eggs in lockdown all were developed and I saw movement! So, while I won't "Count my chickens before they hatch"(or even after) I'm hopeful that they will all hatch! I'll share a picture of her when I move her to the brooder! SO EXCITING!!! I love little's! Now I wait...:pop

Just have to share my happy news...one of my Olive Eggers arrived early yesterday I think I'll have to name her "Early" as she hatched on day 19! I have 5 more external pips this morning and it's day 20. When I put the eggs in lockdown all were developed and I saw movement! So, while I won't "Count my chickens before they hatch"(or even after) I'm hopeful that they will all hatch! I'll share a picture of her when I move her to the brooder! SO EXCITING!!! I love little's! Now I wait...:pop
It IS exciting!!
Are these eggs from your flock....what's the cross??
My OE hatch this year was bust, bad incubation all around and only 2 of 12 hatched, and 1 of those is a male :(
Waiting for them to hatch is nerve wracking....then you get to wait about 6 weeks to see how many males...then you get to wait until the females lay to see what color eggs you get. Chickens will help you practice patience...or not. :D

It IS exciting!!
Are these eggs from your flock....what's the cross??
My OE hatch this year was bust, bad incubation all around and only 2 of 12 hatched, and 1 of those is a male :(
Waiting for them to hatch is nerve wracking....then you get to wait about 6 weeks to see how many males...then you get to wait until the females lay to see what color eggs you get. Chickens will help you practice patience...or not. :D

I'm sorry your hatch was a bust...it really is sad when that happens! At least one was a pullet!

LOL!!! When people refer to patience, I always say when God was handing out patience I thought he meant "patients" and said, "No, thanks, I don't want any sick people"...and thus...I didn't get any patience ;)

My flock is just babies at the moment, my oldest is 9 weeks old. There is a family owned "hatchery"...I really wish they wouldn't call themselves that as it is a family owned farm that breeds. They have some really beautiful birds! I found them after a dismal shipped egg hatch. I had 35 shipped eggs...and only 3 hatched (1 OE, 2 EE). I decided that I needed to find some local options as that was completely depressing!

So, I found Mother Hen's Hatchery in East TN. Super nice people, the farm is beautiful, the animals were well cared for and their breeding stock is gorgeous. They encourage people to come visit and see the animals, ask questions etc. So, we went over and bought 8 Ameraucuna chicks (1 splash, 3 black and two blue). I also got two Olive Eggers (Bonnie and Clyde that I posted earlier to get opinions of their sex). When I was picking up my 8 chicks, they had some 3 week old Light Brahma's that they were giving away as hatch day was the next day and they would be overrun with chicks! I took two. When we went back 2 weeks later to get some eggs to hatch I had planned to get Easter Eggers and a couple more Olive Eggers...but while I was there, this big beautiful super friendly hen strutted by the barn...I was like "WHAT IS SHE??"...LOL! She is a French Blue Copper Maran...so I had to have some of her eggs! I ended up with 6 FBCM's, 4 Easter Eggers and 2 Olive Eggers, that is what is in the incubator now!

There cross is Ameraucuna Roo (they have several colors) & Black Copper Maran and I believe they may also cross with the blue copper Maran's as well as I had several shades of olive eggs to choose from. Of course that could have been due to the breeding of different generations.

I'll post pictures when these little boogers put me out of my misery and hatch! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom