The Olive-Egger thread!

If you go back to a legbar all will lay green/olive eggs. 1/2 will be single blue gene and half will be double gene blue. That's when I would test breed.
OEs is a tetter totter go back to marans you getter darker but lose the blue gene in some.
Go back to a LB you increase the ones with blue gene but breed away from the darker color.
Turns into a vicious circle trying to chase both things and maintain both.
That's why IMO the key is to lock in the blue genes by getting to and only using pure for blue ones. Then you have to just chase the darkest eggs from generation to generation.
Its what makes a true OE and a true OE breeder IMO.
I've done the OE dance. About to do the same dance with getting some blue eggers back to just pure for blue genes.
Its a pain with the test breeding and keeping track of everyone and waiting to them to get to point of laying.

I have a F4 olive egger rooster. What color gene will be passed to his offspring? Either Blue or Dark Brown....correct? Can it be both, or is it one or the other?

I have a F4 olive egger rooster. What color gene will be passed to his offspring? Either Blue or Dark Brown....correct? Can it be both, or is it one or the other?
What color eggs does he lay?
Ya ya I know but point is if we don't know what genes he has then there's no real way of knowing what he will pass on.
As far as blue or dk brown or both it can be both.
Theres a set of genes for either blue or non blue (white). He could carry one of each or two of either.
The brown is a separate set of genes. With the brown there's many genes involved. I believe its like 23 different genes or something like that. Its a toss up to what he has and what he would pass on.

What color eggs does he lay?
Ya ya I know but point is if we don't know what genes he has then there's no real way of knowing what he will pass on.
As far as blue or dk brown or both it can be both.
Theres a set of genes for either blue or non blue (white). He could carry one of each or two of either.
The brown is a separate set of genes. With the brown there's many genes involved. I believe its like 23 different genes or something like that. Its a toss up to what he has and what he would pass on.
okay, thanks! Crap shoot lol

88EC4C6B-95CD-4D18-B2E9-87E71D3E9C45.jpeg
3D675F78-C153-48BF-AF4C-D0EB57C6DF06.jpeg
3D675F78-C153-48BF-AF4C-D0EB57C6DF06.jpeg Here is my very handsome roster aka big turkey my kids named him and one of my hens aka Ruth she has a very lovely personality

Does anyone else's OE seem to molt harder then their other birds?
I only have one OE hen and this is her first molt. She's half naked! I know each molt is different for each bird but I also have heard certain breeds molt harder then others. Wondered if OE's are one?

I know each molt is different for each bird but I also have heard certain breeds molt harder then others. Wondered if OE's are one?
OE's are not a breed but a cross...
...so it may depend on what breeds were crossed for your OE.
But still, don't think any particular breeds are known for consistently molting 'hard'.

41007A4F-5A2D-484F-AD89-07B33D28DA7D.jpeg
5A50A609-3FDD-4AFF-8721-A41BB0017953.jpeg

Ignoring the small egg (silkie hen) Is it common for a single Olive Egger hen to lay a range of colors like this at first? She just started laying about 6 days ago, and it seems like she lays a different shade every time!

Last edited:
View attachment 1650068
Ignoring the small egg (silkie hen) Is it common for a single Olive Egger hen to have a range of colors like this? She just started laying about 5 days ago, and it seems like she is laying a different shade everyday.
Mine does it too. First picture are all the same hen. 20180220_151705.jpg
Second picture the 3 eggs to the left are hers and 2 Americauna eggs to compare the middle purple egg too.
20180427_161853.jpg
Sometimes smooth in color but mostly I get speckled eggs. I think they look like bartlet pears. LOL

Back
Top Bottom