The Olive-Egger thread!

While mulling over my breeding plans for some oes with my bcm x blk am or lav am, this thought occurred to me, will the egg production increase over what my am produce? Are marans better layers than am and which will affect egg production? The roo or the hen?

So i bred an ameraucana roo with a rhode island red hen. Their offspring laid both brown and olive eggs. The greenish egg is pictured below. I am now going to cross that same ameraucana roo with a purebred marans and see what i get.

Look what I got today!

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

Hey Jeremy - I've been off BYC for a long, long time - busy working on my farm since I bought 16 wild Appaloosa horses this summer. I was glad to get your picture of your beautiful hens you hatched from my eggs and glad to see you've got one laying my famous "gray" eggs. They appear gray until you wet them and then you see the green underneath the bloom. I have a few laying those now. I just listed an auction for olive eggs the other day and if anyone is interested I could also include the gray eggs. In that same pen I have some that lay "pink" eggs. Same thing - the bloom is over brown and makes it look pink. So if anyone is interested, I could always put together a package of the olive, gray and pink eggs. My birds just started laying again and they are going like gang busters. Of course I've got a lot of them now and they are in the 4th and 5th generation.

This olive egger had broken her leg and she still hops around. I had considered culling her, but couldn't, and am so glad I didn't. She finally laid an egg yesterday after 9 months. I wouldn't call it an olive egg, but I still love it.

Her egg is the blue-green one in the front:

Back
Top Bottom