The Olive-Egger thread!

Yes actually! I can only hatch so many chicks here, I'm in a very urban environment. If you would be interested in hatching some of her eggs and then sharing offspring down the road then I'd love to have your help.

My goal is a Dun colored, pea combed, preferably clean shanked, medium olive green laying bird. That's not too much to ask is it?
tongue.png

I think my biggest headache is going to be keeping featherless legs.

ETA: And keeping clean hackles, depending on what color Marans I use, I don't want any copper coloring in these birds.

That sounds like a really neat project. You have to have something to strive for in whatever project you chose to do, so I say no, it isn't too much to ask
smile.png
. Please keep us updated on this. Do you have any pics of the Platinum Sumatra?

Thanks!

What does dun colored mean?

Dun is also referred to as Chocolate. It can look like this.

1dunnhenb.jpg

This is not my bird, just an example I'm using.

Dun behaves similarly to the Blue gene. It dilutes Black to a brown hue. 1 "copy" of the gene produces Dun birds, 2 "copies" of the gene produces Khaki birds. Like with Blue, 1 "copy" produces Blue birds and 2 "copies" of the Blue gene produces Splash birds.

Like Blue, Dun can come in many different shades.

I refer to the color by it's genetic name rather than using the term "Chocolate" to not confuse Dun with the sex linked Chocolate color.

We should trade eggs!!! For real this time.
lol.png

I love your OEs, they're so colorful.

gig.gif
Anytime, just let me know. Actually I can let you know the next time I'm coming down to the bay area and we can see if we can work something out.

I have pictures of my cockerel on my website, brooksidecottagefarms.com.

And this Platinum baby just hatched yesterday.
smile.png

IMG_6012.jpg

What a pretty baby! He looks like he'd be fun to take pictures of.

I get this speckled egg, and a good sized one too for a girl who started laying in december, almost every day from one of the OE x OE's. Its almost like it leaves the paint shop not fully dry though and always smudges on the shavings I think, unless the paint shop is smudgy!!

Here's a single combed 'extra'. I kept him because he was the ugliest little thing and I couldn't figure out what was so different about him from the rest I've hatched.. It was his white saddle feathers! But boy do I love this guy now, he's maybe 20 weeks old.

Him and his boyfriend roaming around. The red is one from the same hatch with a pea comb and isnt dominant white.

Dun is also referred to as Chocolate. It can look like this.

1dunnhenb.jpg

This is not my bird, just an example I'm using.

Dun behaves similarly to the Blue gene. It dilutes Black to a brown hue. 1 "copy" of the gene produces Dun birds, 2 "copies" of the gene produces Khaki birds. Like with Blue, 1 "copy" produces Blue birds and 2 "copies" of the Blue gene produces Splash birds.

Like Blue, Dun can come in many different shades.

I refer to the color by it's genetic name rather than using the term "Chocolate" to not confuse Dun with the sex linked Chocolate color.

What colors do you breed to get this color? I would love to have some OE's with this color. So if your interested in letting me hatch out some project birds in this color I would love to help!
Ron

I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I got some pics of my favorite splash copper OE yesterday. She and her hatchmates are still a few weeks away from laying.

She seems to be in between a pea and single comb so I am not sure what we'll get.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom