The Olive-Egger thread!

Lark, I have seen the same thing. So interesting, these birds! I've been getting some really gorgeous shades of olive this year - I'm "almost" ready to start a pure olive egger pen to see if the color will "hold."

That is really cool, those are from the same hen? I have seen some crazy eggs from these girls, I can't wait for mine. Day 9 for my Olive Eggers from Wynette. Waiting to collect eggs after only having a Marans Roo with my EE's. I want to now but I'm afraid I will get a D'Uccle mix, even though they have been away from them for about 10 days and I never saw the little guys with the EE's, they liked big girls like Braham's and CX's.
ep.gif
Yeah that's what I did when I saw it. My first set, I'm only going to set the bluest color eggs and one green one that has a nice shine to it.

Lark, I have seen the same thing. So interesting, these birds! I've been getting some really gorgeous shades of olive this year - I'm "almost" ready to start a pure olive egger pen to see if the color will "hold."

You go Wynette, and I will be lurking for the auction.
hide.gif

When you say pure OE pen, do you mean only OExOE? I thought that with OExOE, their offspring could lay almost any color, or am I confusing this with EEs.

I walked down to the neighbors yesterday because her girls started laying.. I had sold/given her 4 pullets. The 2 shades of olive/green and the brown are f1 x f1's from my flock, the other funny colored egg is from a 1/4 cochin/olive egger cross.

Makes me want some POL pullets.. I actually worked it to where I can keep my 8 hens and rooster plus the last batch of 20 chicks. or I should say this last brood because I'm not done filling the brooder.
big_smile.png

And on the blowing out the eggs I only do one hole and use a 60cc syringe and 16g needle to blow everything out the hole and then fill and rinse them many times with warm water. Its really easy especially because the shells are so thick. I found that a tack, like a push pin, works best for breaking a hole or I've seen people use a dremel, I just dont have one. They also have the kits that have everything you need, I just like only having one hole to hide.

You can do a lot of things with the blown eggs too. You can put them in a big clear vase as an easter centerpiece especially if you have a bunch of colorful eggs. or rub ons, clear coat, a bead cap, and ribbon make great ornaments! You can even blow out eggs instead of hardboiling them to decorate for easter.

I hope people aren't again confusing green laying EE's with OE's
wink.png
Not pointing fingers though, just, reminding.

Love the egg colors I've been seeing though especially the olive vs blue, wow, is that BLUE for an Olive Egger! And yes, you'll get the color back.
smile.png

Well I just gotta say with excited news, I received 10 OE x OE eggs to hatch a while ago, they're cooking now with 100% fertility, and the most exciting part of all is the recent news - These eggs are based from Araucana based OE's, yet, both Araucanas were clean-faced, thus, I sold them to someone else which is why I only have 10 I traded for, but anyway, just recently they hatched some of their own, and what do they get? A bilaterally tufted, and I mean perfect large symmetrical tufts, Olive Egger! I'm sooo excited for them but also sooo jealous. That means the pullet I sold to them (can't be the cockerel) is internally tufted (yep, it happens but is rare) and the eggs I'm cooking could also very likely hatch out tufted.

I hope, oh I hope, to get more than one bilaterally tufted Olive Egger, that would be SWEET. Especially if she laid awesome eggs for me, or was a rumpless male with excellent size. They're based from the two biggest Araucanas I had/have, and the two biggest but darkest laying Marans I had. One of them laid purple eggs too, and already the parent OE lays lots of chalky bloom on her eggs, so I hope for some awesome egg colors in the F2 offspring. I'm going to keep all the girls I get to see what egg colors I receive.

Very excited, I am.
wee.gif

Another great thing, these eggs are enormous. . .

Back
Top Bottom