The Olive-Egger thread!

I hatched a batch of eggs in my bator in December. I just gathered what I collected over a 2 day span and put them in the bator. I had a pullet I was keeping an eye on wondering if I would get an olive egg from her. Today I found the answer to that question. I GOT MY FIRST OFFICIAL OLIVE EGG!
I also got a blue naked neck rooster and some blue naked neck chicks today both of which I have been searching for for quite sometime. Yay Cinco de Mayo!!

Congrats!!

I have to admit, waiting for my first olive egg was actually a little more exciting in than when I waited for my first Marans or blue egg. (first was an Ameraucana, then an Araucana)

I'm getting a gorgeous green egg, never had a green color so fresh and pretty before, each day but not sure who lays it. I've got two OE pullets ready to lay any day, one 1/2 Marans 1/4 Ameraucana 1/4 Polish (sort of an Olive Egger?) and one Ameraucana who's dad I don't know the egg color/genetics for, so, could be anyone's. Either way it is more true green than "olive green" and has a most beautiful rich torquise inner shell. Hope to find out soon who's laying these.

has a most beautiful rich torquise inner shell. Hope to find out soon who's laying these

I had a lady who layed an egg like this. Don't know if I lost her to predators or if her cycle changed. But haven't seen any like this for quite a while.

One of the most beautiful eggs to break open I've ever seen!!!

Good luck to you!!!

The locals where I live don't really know what olive eggers are apparently and they refuse to pay more than what people are selling sex links and rir chicks for so it looks like my OE flock is gonna be bigger than I expected. But the bright side is by this fall or next spring I should have tons of olive eggs.

I bought my Olive Eggs from Alicefelldown before she sold her flock (thankfully) and I am keeping them true to what they are.

That wait for the first olive egg seems like it takes years....
BTW Those Barred Olive Eggers are great!

Do OE ever happen to be smaller breeds, bantams, or do any bantams lay darker eggs??

Bantam OE's would be hard considering bantam Marans lay, so far, some poor quality egg color.

Small though - You can always find some small Araucana stock and use a breed like Penedesencas. Araucanas are naturally small, weighing around 4 lbs for hens, although I've personally had smaller, and Penedesencas are lighter in weight than Marans. F1 x F1 especially will help move more towards the Araucana compact nature and still keep a good olive color.

Speaking of which, my F1 x F! babies are growing! Looks like I've got only one pullet and a bunch of cockerels, which is fine with me. I've got two currently laying F1 pullets who need a good tufted male, and I've got 2 tufted males to choose from plus a few rumpless clean-faced, and in the mean time, plenty of food from the extras. Love OE's as dual purpose birds.

Back
Top Bottom