The Olive-Egger thread!

I'm growing out a batch of mystery possible olive eggers. Oliver egger roo from unknown parentage, crossed with various layers of light green, olive, and dark brown. I think I have 6 girls, some black, some gray, some with feathered legs. It will be a fun experiment.

Bantam OE's would be hard considering bantam Marans lay, so far, some poor quality egg color.

Small though - You can always find some small Araucana stock and use a breed like Penedesencas. Araucanas are naturally small, weighing around 4 lbs for hens, although I've personally had smaller, and Penedesencas are lighter in weight than Marans. F1 x F1 especially will help move more towards the Araucana compact nature and still keep a good olive color.

Speaking of which, my F1 x F! babies are growing! Looks like I've got only one pullet and a bunch of cockerels, which is fine with me. I've got two currently laying F1 pullets who need a good tufted male, and I've got 2 tufted males to choose from plus a few rumpless clean-faced, and in the mean time, plenty of food from the extras. Love OE's as dual purpose birds.
i have seen some posting for bantam welsummers and barnevelders, i didnt look ar the pictures though, I'm not that interested in most bantams.

I have about 20 pages to catch up on since I've moved but my only olive egger I kept is now broody!! She tricked me too I wasn't sure if she was still laying eggs but we came home from being out of town over the weekend to a missing chicken. The landlady pointed her out to me after she almost ran mama over with the lawnmower! I moved her into the upstairs of my grow out pen lastnight and she was still sitting this morning..

She's my dominant white f1xf1 and is sitting on 12 of her own eggs. Hopefully she can stick it out another 2 weeks or so!!

When I found her.

This morning after her move lastnight.

I have about 20 pages to catch up on since I've moved but my only olive egger I kept is now broody!! She tricked me too I wasn't sure if she was still laying eggs but we came home from being out of town over the weekend to a missing chicken. The landlady pointed her out to me after she almost ran mama over with the lawnmower! I moved her into the upstairs of my grow out pen lastnight and she was still sitting this morning..

She's my dominant white f1xf1 and is sitting on 12 of her own eggs. Hopefully she can stick it out another 2 weeks or so!!

When I found her.

This morning after her move lastnight.

thumbsup.gif

Hello I just found this thread. I started a project this spring. I had a splash Maran rooster and put him over all my blue/green eggers EE's. The out come was great I loved all the shades of blue. Next I culled for feathered legs. My roo was a french standard. So out of 72 chicks I ended up with 7 pullets with clean legs. They are my starting point. I am also keeping 1 olive egger roo. Just because he is so friendly. He follows us around and peeps at me. So here are some pix.

Mr. friendly 8wks old

Mr. friendly hanging with the BCM and OE's

Buffy the BO my broody who hatched out 12 OE's

Everyone in the kiddie pool

If anyone is interested in sharing pictures of their Olive Eggers... I would love to get some pictures of eggs, chicks and adult birds for this website - http://oliveeggers.weebly.com/index.html
Also, if anyone has any suggestions of articles on Olive Eggers that I can link to that would be awesome.
Please note that this is a "for fun club"... there are no fees or forms or anything. :)

I'm new to this thread. I went out of my way to get an olive egger from someone far away. It was a third generation I understand. It was a BCM to an americana. Then those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM. Those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM again. My chick came from an olive green shelled egg. I think I have a problem in that this chick looks like it has a single comb. Does that mean I will only have brown eggs? What color brown? Dark? Kakhi? Can anyone tell me what to expect. I really really wanted an olive green egg layer!

Back
Top Bottom