The Olive-Egger thread!

I'm new to this thread. I went out of my way to get an olive egger from someone far away. It was a third generation I understand. It was a BCM to an americana. Then those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM. Those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM again. My chick came from an olive green shelled egg. I think I have a problem in that this chick looks like it has a single comb. Does that mean I will only have brown eggs? What color brown? Dark? Kakhi? Can anyone tell me what to expect. I really really wanted an olive green egg layer!
well.... all the straight combs I have lay brown eggs, even if they have and Ameraucana parent. I would guess they would be dark eggs though. It is possible to still get an olive egger, but very slim.
hide.gif

Wouldn't that make the chick 1/8 blue egg layer and 7/8 BCM. That's almost all BCM. One more generation of breeding that way would make it almost pure BCM.

Makes sense to get a straight comb and brown egg, but I'm not an expert on breeding stuff.

I'm new to this thread. I went out of my way to get an olive egger from someone far away. It was a third generation I understand. It was a BCM to an americana. Then those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM. Those chicks were breed back to an unrelated BCM again. My chick came from an olive green shelled egg. I think I have a problem in that this chick looks like it has a single comb. Does that mean I will only have brown eggs? What color brown? Dark? Kakhi? Can anyone tell me what to expect. I really really wanted an olive green egg layer!
I agree that crossing back to BCM will make a darker brown/funky green egg. As with any experiment you'll just have to wait. I crossed a splash maran over my EE's. All the babies where blue and will be olive eggs. I am collecting eggs this week for a new test. I got rid of the splash and I have a DQ blue copper maran. DQ'ed because of a crazy tail that flips over his back,no feathers on his shanks and dark eyes. I thought he was a big pretty boy and would be a waste to no use him at least for the rest of summer. Easter Eggers have no set rules. The basic are even fuzzy. Green egg gene,green slate feet,and a pea comb. But, with so many crosses they have a huge range. I have them because I think they are pretty and fun to mix up. Since blue copper is not a true color. He will not make all the babies blue like the splash did. I am hoping for some nice color combo's from the mix and it will make olive egger's.

Woody the blue copper maran. Not BCM standard. But just fine to make olive EE's

My girls wanting out for the day.
Roo: 1 blue copper maran
Hens: 8 EE,1 BO,1BCM,1SL cochin,
Babies:
Pullet,1splash maran ,6 BCM,4 olive egger
cockerels: 2 olive egger, 1 bluecopper maran
& 5 (1 week old) EE olive's in the brooder

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in sharing pictures of their Olive Eggers... I would love to get some pictures of eggs, chicks and adult birds for this website - http://oliveeggers.weebly.com/index.html
Also, if anyone has any suggestions of articles on Olive Eggers that I can link to that would be awesome.
Please note that this is a "for fun club"... there are no fees or forms or anything. :)
I just have to say that is great! now.... I just need a web page... soon... very soon!

If you are looking for a quick easy website - I have found Weebly to be incredibly user friendly and it is free :)

Quote: Actually, right after I saw your pages, I signed up... now to make the time to think about how to lay it out and what to put on it. Soon we should have internet at the farm, and I can work on it there with out the kids distracting me.

Thanks! and I will send you some pics and a web address when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom