The peanut butter go-round

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
I've always had a bit of a problem with mice in my shop. The coop and the run, not so much.
I've decided to get aggressive about the shop.
I found my ketch-all wind up mouse trap, set it in the shop, and baited it with some flour. I also chummed the area close to the tunnel with flour too.
In my best South of the border voice, I announced to the hiding mice that the club was open, and there was going to be a big party there in the evening.

The next morning I found that only two customers showed up, and they soon failed their first swimming test.
That night I baited it again, but announced two for one drinks, and scantily clad women.
Come morning, I found I had six customers the night before. They also failed the swimming test.

The next night I announced Wednesday ladies night, and women would drink for free. Only one lonely dude showed up. He too couldn't swim for diddly, but I'll gave him and "A" for effort.

Thursday was taco night, and no one showed. I figured the mice were getting hip to the club, and may have started a boycott. I know it had nothing to do with the bathrooms, because any of them can go where they want.

I decided to once again bait the club, but in addition, I went with the old standby, your basic snap traps. I like the plastic ones you can set and release without touching anything. The best bait I've found for snap traps is pistachios. I take the whole pistachio (shell and nut) and hot glue them to the triggers of the traps. You can get quite a few uses out of them before having to rebait.

So Friday night I announced free pistachio night, and in the morning all three traps had some very dissatisfied customers, whom had suffered immediate but very short lived headaches.
Swimming lessons weren't needed that day.

Saturdays should be special at the club. So free pistachios are again being offered, as well as free peanut butter, a carnival ride, and a complimentary swimming lesson.

I read a post here awhile back, and decided to give it a try.
It took me all of about five minutes to put together. I gathered a 5 gal bucket 1/3 filled with water, a length of bailing wire, a can, a 2x4, and some peanut butter.
You take the can and drill a hole in the center of the top and bottom. Then run your wire through it and attach it across the top of the bucket. Next, spread peanut butter evenly all over the can. Place your piece of wood on the lip of the bucket across from the can, and that's it!

The mice are supposed to smell the intoxicating aroma of the peanut butter, climb the ramp to see the peanut butter encrusted can. Seeing as they can't reach it, they will leap onto the can, the can rotates from their weight, and the mouse drops into the bucket for his complimentary swimming test, leaving everything ready for the next hungry passenger on the peanut
go- round.

I'll report back in the morning with the results.

I've always had a bit of a problem with mice in my shop. The coop and the run, not so much.
I've decided to get aggressive about the shop.
I found my ketch-all wind up mouse trap, set it in the shop, and baited it with some flour. I also chummed the area close to the tunnel with flour too.
In my best South of the border voice, I announced to the hiding mice that the club was open, and there was going to be a big party there in the evening.

The next morning I found that only two customers showed up, and they soon failed their first swimming test.
That night I baited it again, but announced two for one drinks, and scantily clad women.
Come morning, I found I had six customers the night before. They also failed the swimming test.

The next night I announced Wednesday ladies night, and women would drink for free. Only one lonely dude showed up. He too couldn't swim for diddly, but I'll gave him and "A" for effort.

Thursday was taco night, and no one showed. I figured the mice were getting hip to the club, and may have started a boycott. I know it had nothing to do with the bathrooms, because any of them can go where they want.

I decided to once again bait the club, but in addition, I went with the old standby, your basic snap traps. I like the plastic ones you can set and release without touching anything. The best bait I've found for snap traps is pistachios. I take the whole pistachio (shell and nut) and hot glue them to the triggers of the traps. You can get quite a few uses out of them before having to rebait.

So Friday night I announced free pistachio night, and in the morning all three traps had some very dissatisfied customers, whom had suffered immediate but very short lived headaches.
Swimming lessons weren't needed that day.

Saturdays should be special at the club. So free pistachios are again being offered, as well as free peanut butter, a carnival ride, and a complimentary swimming lesson.

I read a post here awhile back, and decided to give it a try.
It took me all of about five minutes to put together. I gathered a 5 gal bucket 1/3 filled with water, a length of bailing wire, a can, a 2x4, and some peanut butter.
You take the can and drill a hole in the center of the top and bottom. Then run your wire through it and attach it across the top of the bucket. Next, spread peanut butter evenly all over the can. Place your piece of wood on the lip of the bucket across from the can, and that's it!

The mice are supposed to smell the intoxicating aroma of the peanut butter, climb the ramp to see the peanut butter encrusted can. Seeing as they can't reach it, they will leap onto the can, the can rotates from their weight, and the mouse drops into the bucket for his complimentary swimming test, leaving everything ready for the next hungry passenger on the peanut
go- round.

I'll report back in the morning with the results.
They ought'ta pay you for this stuff!! I just woke my wife laughing. She didn't even think anything was funny.

They ought'ta pay you for this stuff!!
I know,right?

Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story".... lol
I must be running out of patrons. Not a soul visited the pistachio bars, nobody sleeping it off in the the club, and only one rider on the peanut go-round. I will say it worked, and another dog paddle lesson was wasted.

This is absolutely hilarious, great reading though I don't think I could do the same without feeling a little guilty for having such clever traps
lau.gif
. Hopefully your problem has ceased, though I wouldn't mind reading more of your VIP Mouse Club Chronicles!

One of the funniest things about the peanut butter go-round is what I observed after the sun rose.
I could see where his tiny little paws slid in the peanut butter as he was on his way to the big giant H2O cocktail below him.
Tonight, I will go with the same setup as last night and see who comes for the big drink.

lau.gif

You can be a Jewel, Joe...too funny.
Really reminded me of the blowgun mouse round up in a book called The Mulligan.

So, I know the pnut butter go round swimming hole, have had similar success with that......what is the first swimming hole you mentioned?

lau.gif

You can be a Jewel, Joe...too funny.
Really reminded me of the blowgun mouse round up in a book called The Mulligan.

So, I know the pnut butter go round swimming hole, have had similar success with that......what is the first swimming hole you mentioned?
Just a 5 gal bucket with water. Make sure when you plop the mice in, that there are no personal floatation devices available.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom