The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few pictures from the show (a photographer I am not)

Some chicks from a silver over non-silver will get it. Not all. Just depends on how much you desire to push the silver in your birds as to whether you might add a punch code just for that.

This is just my opinion and only worth what ever weight you attach to it. I happen to like the chicks from the cross better than I liked either bird of itself, if that makes any sense to you? In short, we preferred the cross birds to either parent. But remember, not all birds that hatch and are raised will be any improvement at all. Most will be bleh and some will be worse than bleh.

Nice thing about a big old White bird is how nice they look on the table when plucked and the yellow skin all golden brown.
Good point. Beekissed had the same opinion of the mix on her birds.
highfive.gif

This is the pullet who was second last weekend. I think the world of her, but she's got areas I want to improve in the breeding pens this spring. I'd like to lengthen her back a wee bit. Her sire was a high lift male who really put a tail on these birds, something that was sorely needed. That was his strength. But, like most things in breeding and because there is no perfect bird, however, his fault also came through to his daughters, ie, a bit of body shortness.

So now, we go back and lengthen the body this go round in 2015. I'd also like to deepen the front end on them this year so those are my focus. Those two things. Focus means not trying to do everything at once, for me anyhow. That's what I remind myself. Set a goal of improvement and make that goal narrow and focused.

As a barn/pasture raised bird all summer, it took a bit of time in a conditioning cage to calm her down and get her used to lots of handling. I actually enjoyed that process. She was a delight to handle at the show. She danced well for Jeff Halbach and gave him a show right at the split second she needed to. You just never know whether they'll be in the mood or not.

Last edited:
Here's my other selection for the breeding pen. From these two females, I can easily hatch 50 chicks and that is my assigned allotment on the team.

She's a half sister to the pullet above. She is more up on her legs than these photos show, (she just lazily got up from laying down) but the pix do represent her length well, her top and bottom lines well. As you can see, she's a month younger than the bird above, so she's got finishing to do and lots of time to do, as she won't see a cockbird until late February. She is a full silver bird.

Here's my other selection for the breeding pen. From these two females, I can easily hatch 50 chicks and that is my assigned allotment on the team.

She's a half sister to the pullet above. She is more up on her legs than these photos show, (she just lazily got up from laying down) but the pix do represent her length well, her top and bottom lines well. As you can see, she's a month younger than the bird above, so she's got finishing to do and lots of time to do, as she won't see a cockbird until late February. She is a full silver bird.

Both are truly beautiful, Fred.
love.gif

Just a note about the show from a novice attendee.
I thought the rocks were a gorgeous bunch of birds, my wife and I particularly like the columbian. My wife didn't see a chicken she liked better than our reds until she saw them.
I was impressed

Just a note about the show from a novice attendee.
I thought the rocks were a gorgeous bunch of birds, my wife and I particularly like the columbian. My wife didn't see a chicken she liked better than our reds until she saw them.
I was impressed

Smarsh

I know where you can get a few, lol!

It was a LONG 4 yr process to get them even close enoigh to be worthy of a show. Still a long way to go with lots to work on, but getting better each yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom