The Rhodebar thread!

Red, you little stink, I still want him to come visit my back yard..lol..you all have a good eye for these Rhodebars...post a photo of a really nice looking roo for me.

Is this one good? Right color and all?
41441_rhodebar_roo.jpg

guys, No current BYC owned pure Rhodebar rooster looks the way they should, thats why there are Improvements programs currently going on right now to fix that, crossing to the best quality RIR you can get your hands on it will be the first step, then genetic selection for autosexing is the next step ofcourse

His name is Fred and those pics were taken when he was about 7 months old. He's more than a year old now and he is very sweet. He and my other cock Carl sired all of my RIR chicks this year. His sisters were the pullets used to create my F1s.

Hate to say it but this cockerel doesn't look Rhodebar to me.

You would have to ask Greenfire Farms, because that is where he came from. He was purchased as a Rhodebar. Maybe this is the first real Rhodebar you've ever seen... just sayin'.

Actually, it's right on the GFF Web site that they crossed in other breeds. It's common knowledge that they inadvertently had less than adequate genetic knowledge to cull properly. This has been discussed many times on this particular thread. If you're interested you can read the previous posts on this thread and it will bring you up to date.
Didn't mean to offend at all. We just happen to all be pretty blunt on this thread because we are all helping to improve the breed and assume people want honest answers. And we've learned who has the knowledge and genetic experience to trust. Niclandia is one of those knowledgeable people and he simply confirmed my opinion of the cock pictured. No offense meant, just honesty.
For a description of what a Rhodebar should look like you may want to read the standard for RIR. An autosexed, barred version of this standard is what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom