The Rhodebar thread!

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
one more question for niclandia, in regards to the Rhodebar...can you use a Cuckoo Maran Roo for the barring gene since they are autosexing breed that carries 2 copies of it ( I'm guessing since the CM roos are lighter than the females)?

The barring and auto sexed genes are related. In auto sexed breeds the males have 2 copies of the barring gene but females have only 1 copy. So females are barred out they are not? But when creating or perpetuating barring for a male to breed true to 100% of his offspring he may be double barred. The double barring does give a lighter appearance than the single barred males who can sometimes appear more striking due to their deep color but they will not breed true.

I'm sure nicalandia will give you a more technical answer but that's the gist. You can create sex linked birds easily by crossing barred male over a non-barred female. Autosexed is a more in depth breeding plan but can be done if you have the correct e allele and other colors working for you.

one more question for niclandia, in regards to the Rhodebar...can you use a Cuckoo Maran Roo for the barring gene since they are autosexing breed that carries 2 copies of it ( I'm guessing since the CM roos are lighter than the females)?
yes you can use Cuckoo maran instead, this will produce darker colored pullets, but maybe the barring will not be as crisp as with the barred rock, but if your goals are Darker barred birds, cuckoo marans will do the trick and also have very good dark egg color,

3 things....

1) Cuckoo Marans are an auto sexing breed and the barring would not be as crisp since they are cuckoo and not barred VERY different looks....

2) Not many people have Cuckoo Marans with dark eggs... if they do they don't have good type.

3) You will also be introducting Feathered legs..... if you birds carry those genes. Some clean legs carry the genes they just don't express. Don't forget too Marans SHOULD have White Skin... so you will have that to contend with too.

I would not cross them if it was me. Very different body types too.....

3 things....

1) Cuckoo Marans are an auto sexing breed and the barring would not be as crisp since they are cuckoo and not barred VERY different looks....

2) Not many people have Cuckoo Marans with dark eggs... if they do they don't have good type.

3) You will also be introducting Feathered legs..... if you birds carry those genes. Some clean legs carry the genes they just don't express. Don't forget too Marans SHOULD have White Skin... so you will have that to contend with too.

you are correct,..

I once said and will say it again, if you want to recreate the Rhodebar from scratch you need 3 breeds to start of, first one that will provide type, color(HRIR) the other to provide similar type, yellow skin and barring gene(Barred rocks, or Delaware, I would go with Delawares)..and a bird to outsource the wildtype gene e+ and some size as not to set back too much(welsummer)...

the first cross would be as follow,

Delaware Rooster cross to Welsummer, the F1 cross will be e+/eWh B/b+ S/s+ males.. use the best looking male and mate him to HRIR..

F1 Delaware/Welsummer cross x HRIR

this cross will produce 50% pure wheaten chicks, and 50% e+/eW chicks, keep the e+/eWh B/- s+/- pullets, their genetic make up would be e+/eWh Co/Co B/- s+/- Mh/mh+ so they will look red barred columbian, you can take this pullets and cross them back to HRIR this will poduce sexlinks, pullets will be basically RIR but 50% of the males will be e+/eWh B/b+ s+/s+ Mh/Mh Co/Co single barred Rhodebars..

3 things....

This may be included in the skin as well.
They will have White legs if they have been bred properly.

The barring and auto sexed genes are related. In auto sexed breeds the males have 2 copies of the barring gene but females have only 1 copy. So females are barred out they are not? But when creating or perpetuating barring for a male to breed true to 100% of his offspring he may be double barred. The double barring does give a lighter appearance than the single barred males who can sometimes appear more striking due to their deep color but they will not breed true.

I'm sure nicalandia will give you a more technical answer but that's the gist. You can create sex linked birds easily by crossing barred male over a non-barred female. Autosexed is a more in depth breeding plan but can be done if you have the correct e allele and other colors working for you.
Sex link is the opposite Solid male over barred female.

Back
Top Bottom