The Run thread

We're still in "building"/"purchasing" mode here...but one of the things that's on our list is the roof of the run will have to be something strong enough to hold the weight of snow.
We have a gazebo (one of the simple ones with a canvas top) and there was a year where we went off to work thinking no snow was in the forecast and came home to a ton of snow that had not only ripped through the fabric but had busted down some of the poles on the roof of the gazebo.
idunno.gif

So more than likely when we build/purchase our run it'll have to be super sturdy top. Would like to keep it open o.n top but since we're not at home during the day I don't want the chickens escaping up and out, or bad critters getting in to hurt them.

We're still in "building"/"purchasing" mode here...but one of the things that's on our list is the roof of the run will have to be something strong enough to hold the weight of snow.
We have a gazebo (one of the simple ones with a canvas top) and there was a year where we went off to work thinking no snow was in the forecast and came home to a ton of snow that had not only ripped through the fabric but had busted down some of the poles on the roof of the gazebo.
idunno.gif

So more than likely when we build/purchase our run it'll have to be super sturdy top. Would like to keep it open o.n top but since we're not at home during the day I don't want the chickens escaping up and out, or bad critters getting in to hurt them.
Most the snow goes right thru....or you can build a real roof, strong rafters, metal sheathing for slide off.

Thanks for the help! We are simultaneously getting a new puppy (Great Pyrenees) whose parents both guard chickens :) On your advice I spoke with the breeder who was incredibly helpful about what types of predators she has had to deal with around here (possums and such tearing through the chicken wire, for instance). We've decided to go with buried hardware cloth all around. I'll try to post pictures when we're all set up!

Lillian Mae, I also used welded wire on my run, sides and top. 1"×2" spaced wire . I love it! I think my run and coop are here somewhere in the thread as well.art is a heck of a builder too, her coop is awesome!

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is 4 Sq ft per bird inside and 8 Sq ft per chicken outside, that is the minimum i believe.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is 4 Sq ft per bird inside and 8 Sq ft per chicken outside, that is the minimum i believe.
Oh then that'll be plenty! I might even go a little bit bigger. But the coop will be just a tad bit small. It's 4x4. I think they'll be ok!

Back
Top Bottom