The SBEL thread

The big question...what are the eggs like?

The darker smaller ones are wheaten ameraucana, the big lighter blue ones are SBEL

I have never gotten sexed birds based on shanks, I use a Wheaten Ameraucana Roo from an amazing breeder, and have done them twice now expecting this to happen and it hasn't! Is it because I am using Wheaten?

So far, all of mine have been blue wheaten am cock over WLH hens. Some wheatens have darker slate shanks then others. The father of my current cocks had lighter slate and his pullets sex linked took longer to color in.. I can sex at hatch with my current BW boys but I select for dark slate and their moms had it. Works with lots of yellow legged hens...I've used with welsummers and a GLW..

Good to know, thanks for the info! I'll watch these as they develop and see if it works this time. Two seasons ago I tried and and they all had light legs even as adults. Maybe this batch will be different, it is a new roo. His legs have some slate, not as much as the black and Blue Am's but some. Crossies :D

Wheatens arent slate at hatch unlike most blue, black and lavs. I try to keep the ones who turn slate the youngest and those are always the darkest. BBS and lavs have an E alelle which complicates matters - makes the shanks black unrelated to the slate sex linked gene so I wouldnt try to use slate to sex link crosses from them. I also have a silver rooster this year and am anxiously awaiting darn pullets to start laying to hatch crosses from him...his silver am chicks have been hatching light slate to start. Will attach pics I think will help...lav am then silver am new hatch then sex links legs

If she was using a LH over CCL hens you could MAYBE have sexlinks and that could explain the barring. Were the eggs you bought white or blue?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom