The SBEL thread

Pics

FVRM

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
St. Pauls North Carolina
I want to make a SBEL thread so I can get more info about them, and see some photos. If you have any please post them. I will be making some as soon as my chicks get to breeding age and I will posting the photos here.

I'm also interested in breeding for sbels. What percentage of the chicks should have the blue egg gene from an Ameraucana over leghorn hens??

I'm not a genetics expert but if you do a punnet square the first generation (F1) should have all lay blue eggs with an enhanced blue from the white egg genes.

It's in the second generation F2 when you will see a percent of white vs blue although white eggs should still be less common than blue eggs within that generation.

But this only applies if you are breeding with pure ameraucanas and not Easter eggers.

Here are my eggs from today! I am guessing that this is my SBEL pullet's first egg, front and center. To the right of it is one of my ameraucana eggs. The two green ones are from my Easter eggers. It's a really pretty color!

I just set SBEL eggs again, the ones from last year didn't hatch
1f61e.png
. The ones I just received are WLH hen and CCL roo. I'm sure I'll have crested chicks, supper excited!

Last edited:
Here's one of the girls that I hatched this spring. She's a cross between my SBEL (WL x silver ameraucana) hen and my silver duckwing EE rooster. She has just a bit of extra white on her chest compared to the silver girls. I'm hoping for more huge blue eggs from her like the ones I get from her mom. She is just over 2 months old now.

Thanks-I was trying to figure out the difference between Sapphires and SBELs.
Is there a difference between the two in egg color, egg size, laying in cold weather/hot weather, or when they start laying?

I've only had the SBEL's and they are the best thing ever (to me) lol. I have not tried the sapphires though. I have just short of a hundred birds and there were days this winter when I went out in the below zero weather and got only 8-9 eggs and every single one was a huge SBEL egg. They do fade out over time, not as blue as they get bigger and bigger but the size makes up for it. They lay just as well as the leghorn mom really, the temperament is a little skittish with humans but still docile, no fighting amongst the flock, unlike the leghorns can be.

SBEL eggs for size reference:
[I

SBEL eggs for color reference---the top two are Ameraucana, the bottom is an SBEL 6-7 month old , the right one is a leghorn, (2 yr old)

Last edited:
Super Blue Egg Layer. Essentially a type of EE. Generally a blue egg roo over a white leghorn. (There is some discussion about SBEL vs "Sapphires" with the difference being the latter uses a legbar over leghorns and SBEL uses an Ameraucana roo over leghorns.)

If you use a purebred ameraucana rooster (not an EE), you will NOT have yellow skin and the chicks will be sex linked - pullets have slate shanks (right in pic)and cockerels have white (left in pic). They have white feathers with varying spots if a white LH hen was used.

Back
Top Bottom