The SBEL thread

Pics
Here's one of the girls that I hatched this spring. She's a cross between my SBEL (WL x silver ameraucana) hen and my silver duckwing EE rooster. She has just a bit of extra white on her chest compared to the silver girls. I'm hoping for more huge blue eggs from her like the ones I get from her mom. She is just over 2 months old now.

I just set SBEL eggs again, the ones from last year didn't hatch
1f61e.png
. The ones I just received are WLH hen and CCL roo. I'm sure I'll have crested chicks, supper excited!

The ones with the CCL Daddy are typically called Sapphires, they sell a lot of those where I am at. They turn oout really cute!

I have SBELS from a Blue Wheaten Am Dad and a WLH Mom. They all turn out white with blue or black freckles...love them, my favorite bird. I have my own Wheaten Roo I am making some 2nd gen babies with them.

When I put the 1st gen SBEL's with my blue marans Rooster, I get Olive eggers that lay great, and they are usually blue and look like a blue ameraucana with the muffs and beard, or occasionally black and look the same. a tiny bit of copper leakage sometimes. I have gotten a couple splash looking birds, but more rarely.

ETA: I should note that when I have done the 2nd gen SBELS previously, (SBEL back to Ameraucana) the eggs are a little bluer but they do not lay as prolifically as the F1's, and I don't like the temperament as much. Have never noticed the leg color as being a sex linked trait, I thank you for that information, will have to see if that pans out with my chicks if I do F1's. I do not have any leghorn pullets right now but am going to pick a few up this fall I think.

Last edited:
I have a WLH hen that is friendly and lays great! I am currently growing out blue and black AM roos. What will the chicks look like if I put her with a blue vs a black AM roo?

I have a WLH hen that is friendly and lays great! I am currently growing out blue and black AM roos. What will the chicks look like if I put her with a blue vs a black AM roo?

Prob white with leakage of black spots. Mine were crossed with cream Legbar and that what mine looked like.

Prob white with leakage of black spots. Mine were crossed with cream Legbar and that what mine looked like.

Mine are always white with the spots. Some have a few spots, some have many.

Do you like the cross? How is the quantity, color and size of the eggs? I guess I'm asking if they live up to the name, lol!

Do you like the cross? How is the quantity, color and size of the eggs? I guess I'm asking if they live up to the name, lol!

Mine are only 15 weeks old so no eggs yet. They are a little skittish but one good thing is I could tell cockerel from Pullet at a pretty young age with the comb development.

They are my favorite bird of all my chickens. And that's saying something I have over 100 birds. They lay giant baby blue eggs and after they are a year old they get huge, don't fit in the carton. Bigger than their leghorn moms more often than not. My SBEL's are the only breed right now that are all laying with the cold weathertoo <3 . Every day still. LOVE them

Back
Top Bottom