The SBEL thread

This is my only SBEL. I bought a large assortment of random purebred eggs. Included was one white egg from a lone leghorn that the breeder had in with her ameraucanas. Luckily, the egg hatched and it was a pullet. She's 17 weeks old now. I'm anxiously waiting for them to start laying. I'm curious how much of a difference in egg color there will be between hers and the others. She makes me want to get a leghorn or two to put in with my Easter eggers. :)

Silver Ameraucana rooster over white leghorn hen.

Here are my eggs from today! I am guessing that this is my SBEL pullet's first egg, front and center. To the right of it is one of my ameraucana eggs. The two green ones are from my Easter eggers. It's a really pretty color!

Is there any suggestions from anyone on the best color of Ameraucana to use of I want to end up with wild type silver sbels? Other than silver ... can't seem to find one of those... hoping I can get silver in the second generation by using black to leghorn cross, then back to black or blue. Any suggestions???
I know this is late, but how about starting with silver Leghorns? Nothing says you have to start with white. I crossed brown Leghorns and Easter eggers years and years ago and got birds that laid huge light blue eggs. Those hens were the foundation of my backyard flock, I hatched tons of their eggs.

I know this is late, but how about starting with silver Leghorns? Nothing says you have to start with white. I crossed brown Leghorns and Easter eggers years and years ago and got birds that laid huge light blue eggs. Those hens were the foundation of my backyard flock, I hatched tons of their eggs.
if you can post some photos of them that would be awesome! I really want to know how they look farther down the line

I would have prefered to start with brown leghorn and silver Ameraucana, but both are almost impossible to find. I set eggs from white legs and a black Amer cock. I have ordered silver Ameraucana chicks for the spring that I will breed to any pullets I get from these...

Back
Top Bottom