The SBEL thread

Pics
Yes, there is hope but sadly it is b/c your "ameraucana" is not a purebred. A purebred ameraucana cannot produce yellow skin chicks so you probably have an EE and all bets are off with mixed breeds bc you never know what genes are hiding.

They are purebred Amers. Not EEs. I have EEs, but specifically bought these Ams from exhibition lines. I'm not sure that the SBEL chicks are yellow skinned? Maybe white/pinkish?

Edit: And my Ams do have white skin, I believe.

Last edited:
SBEL are beautiful
love.gif
I had two last year, one roo and a pullet. The roo got aggressive early on and had to be gotten rid of.
The pullet though, she was pretty friendly and trusting before she started laying. She would lay a large blue egg nearly every day. Unfortunately she and the rest of that flock were killed by a dog.
Now I'm trying to find some more chicks or hatching eggs.

Post photos on one of the FB am pages...several folks have been selling "exhibition quality ams" that have yellow skin and are pretty EEs.

I know they aren't EEs :) Thanks for bringing up that point though--it's a real issue in the "chicken world" these days.

Last edited:
Was this with the Ameraucana male or female?

I have 4 from an Ameraucana rooster x Leghorn hen. They are almost 2 weeks old and all have pinkish legs...sold the other 3. Maybe they were pullets.

Mine are Lav Ameraucana male and WLH female. All of mine ended up with slate legs but the pullets show it sooner. Around 3 weeks.

Edit: Actually, the males did have white legs when grown.
Sorry, its been a while since I had them.:idunno

Working on a new batch this year using WLH hens and Lav AM rooster.

Last edited:
I just set SBEL eggs again, the ones from last year didn't hatch
1f61e.png
. The ones I just received are WLH hen and CCL roo. I'm sure I'll have crested chicks, supper excited!

Last edited:
I set my eggs on Thursday so we can compare notes on their progress. I wonder what the difference will be in their egg color they'll lay when you use a CCL or AM??

I haven't a clue :) My ams lay true blue and throw muffs...should be a sex link breeding with pullets having slate shanks but my LH oddly appear to have white skin so could be LH mixes...amber links used to be popular around here - they were bought as Easter chicks then given away before I bought them...

Back
Top Bottom