The SBEL thread

Pics
Second SBEL currently zipping
jumpy.gif

Add: And he's out! Do these usually hatch early? ALL my SBELs are hatched or pipped on Day 20, like the bantams. My other LF eggs are doing nothing.
skinny/game birds are usually faster at hatching, they have to be fast to scape the predators in the wild

Never had a breed hatch so quickly. All 7 eggs that I placed in the incubator three weeks ago hatched rapidly within 12 hours of each other. All are big, fluffy, healthy chicks with beards. Look almost like Faverolles from the top because they have very little black down. Very satisfied with them.

Posting to keep up. I've been very interested in these fir a while. I actually hatched out a couple a couple years ago but they both turned out to be cockerals so they found another home.

May try these in the neat future.

Notice the cockerels in the first pic have white legs. I can sex these at 2 or 3 weeks by leg color. The pullets have slate legs and the cockerels have white.

Was this with the Ameraucana male or female?

I have 4 from an Ameraucana rooster x Leghorn hen. They are almost 2 weeks old and all have pinkish legs...sold the other 3. Maybe they were pullets.

Last edited:
Aw, if you have a purebred ameraucana cock over LH hens, all chicks will have white skin but only pullets will inherit slate shanks from their father...you probably kept all the cockerels :-(

Aw, if you have a purebred ameraucana cock over LH hens, all chicks will have white skin but only pullets will inherit slate shanks from their father...you probably kept all the cockerels :-(

Hmm...two of them seem to have quite yellow/pink legs, while the other two have legs with a greyish tinge that has increased in the last week. Is there any hope?

Hmm...two of them seem to have quite yellow/pink legs, while the other two have legs with a greyish tinge that has increased in the last week. Is there any hope?

Yes! The ones with the grayish tinge will probably be your pullets. The legs will probably keep getting darker for the next few weeks. My EEs all had yellowish legs at hatch. They are 4 weeks old now and most have dark greenish legs now.

Yes! The ones with the grayish tinge will probably be your pullets. The legs will probably keep getting darker for the next few weeks. My EEs all had yellowish legs at hatch. They are 4 weeks old now and most have dark greenish legs now.

I'm hoping so! I have had leg colour changes in the past so maybe they will turn out completely slate if they are female. Their legs look yellow but there is gray creeping in which gives them a bit of a greenish look. At the moment the combs are a mite worrying. I'm attributing it to their Leghorn ancestry.

Another thing that concerned me...was that my Ameraucana x Plymouth Rock Sexlink pullets had slate legs right from the beginning.

Yes, there is hope but sadly it is b/c your "ameraucana" is not a purebred. A purebred ameraucana cannot produce yellow skin chicks so you probably have an EE and all bets are off with mixed breeds bc you never know what genes are hiding.

Back
Top Bottom