The Sizzle Thread!

frow.gif
"HI" I have a question i'm hoping someone can answer...
Can you get a sizzle type looking chicken (smooth sizzle)from mating (no frizzle gene) regular silkie and a regular chicken? Thanks in advance ~

Yes. Silkie feathers are recessive, they require 2 copies to show. If you mate a Silkie to a smooth feathered bird, you'll get all smooth offspring (assuming the smooth bird doesn't hide any Silkie genetics). If you were to mate those offspring together, however, some of their offspring would be Silkie feathered as each of the parents would carry a gene for shredded feathers :)

Yes. Silkie feathers are recessive, they require 2 copies to show. If you mate a Silkie to a smooth feathered bird, you'll get all smooth offspring (assuming the smooth bird doesn't hide any Silkie genetics). If you were to mate those offspring together, however, some of their offspring would be Silkie feathered as each of the parents would carry a gene for shredded feathers
smile.png
Thank you ....is there a name they are called as a breed, like the sizzle? My understanding of feather types.....hard feather(zips together) smooth feather (looks like regular feather...no zip) and curled smooth feather(frizzle type) ...then there is silkie feathers(shredded?) not sure if i'm right about the smooth feather not zipping? ?? Thanks again :)

What is your goal? I'm not understanding what you mean :)

If you're aiming for a Sizzle, its a Sizzle whether it has smooth or frizzled feathers. But, its should possess all of the qualities a Silkie would (crest, black skin, extra toes, blue earlobes). The smooths are just as important as the frizzles, since you shouldn't breed 2 frizzled birds together.

If you breed two frizzles together, you get offspring that get two copies of the frizzle gene (frazzles or curlies). Their feathers are brittle and break off and they typically lack the down under those feathers (that insulation layer, if that makes sense). The brittle feathers, between breaking and falling out, eventually get patchy, leaving behind red, raw exposed skin.

The one upside to them, since they possess two copies of the frizzle gene, is that if bred to a smooth bird, they will produce 100% frizzled offspring. But, their appearance and other genetic problems that usually accompany carrying two copies of the frizzle feather mutation aren't worth it (crossed beaks and other physical defects, laying problems, ect). I've taken in a few frazzles, and while they've been great pets, they should've never been bred. None of mine made it through their first winter at my house. I'm assuming because they couldn't keep themselves warm, even with lots of coop mates to snuggle with. A frazzled Cochin hen was the what I used to start my Sizzle project. She provided me with gobs of frizzled chicks and was a great mother to them, but I always had to keep an eye on her during hatch time. Her chicks would always be shrink wrapped (I guess due to not having enough humidity because her feathers couldn't hold it in) and I'd have to help every one of them hatch.

So, yeah.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that sounds horrible! No wonder they're called frazzles!I'm not really up to date with chicken genetics, they're much more complicated than dogs or cattle, glad to have learnt something new today :) Poor frazzles :/

Back
Top Bottom