The Sizzle Thread!

while the frizzle gene is popular, and easy to 'import' to make a sizzle i thought it had to be a cochin frizzle crossed with a silkie, am i wrong? many people have sizzles already into F4+ generations so to start mixing them afresh would put you behind in achieving the desired dark skin, 5 toes and walnut comb. since sizzles are showable under AOV category, anything you make from your crosses wont be. your crosses will be ~50% frizzled for sure but not sizzles. the feathers will be hard, it takes many generations to get the silkie feathers, my F3 showgirl was very soft but not silky. i am not sure if your hens dark skin will carry over to the silkie dark-(unsure if gene products are the same).

the benefit yours will have over cochin stock will be the crests and beards (but not all silkies are bearded) but they wont have the cushion tail, so you will still have some more generations to breed for the desired traits. as for the prices, those sound the same as here. a big difference is the features, i have a straight combed, yellow skinned but 5 toed sizzle so that one will not go for much, it also appears not to be frizzled (its only a week old) and so it will go for a lower pet price and i may have to give it away if its a rooster. some of mine i got from ebay have very odd toe numbers and placements too-one had the dreaded 6 toes (cant do anything about that-wont breed it) and another has the 5th toe originating mid digit from the 4th, or it may be the 4th originating mid digit from the 5th.

since sizzles have been bread for many generations now and are appearing in shows, the ones that get the higher prices will be those that can be shown (even if the person never does it). my advice would be to buy and hatch some eggs from a show sizzle breeder, that way you dont have to pay a premium for a hen. if you buy a hen from someone 4 toes is better than 6! and you may get a better price from a 4 toe. the most cost effective thing to do is buy a sizzle roo and have it cover regular silkie hens, that way you get the most 'bang' (genetically) for your buck.
I see, thanks! It probably would be best to start that way, but I *have* to keep my silkie roo. He's the only thing to survive out of my last flock (was laid right before they got sick actually) so he's my #1 guy. Just a pretty pet really. His father was bearded and feather legged. His mother was one of 2 other silkie hens, not sure which. Both were the same except one was beardless, so that may present problems if she was his mother i'm guess? That'd mean he could also pass on a beardless gene correct? I have to work with what I have tho. What will the offspring look like first generation? Worth $5 each maybe if they turn out cute?

That's how I created my own :)

Look at them now! Polish was the grandmother.

Would it be possible to breed back any sizzled generation 1 hens showing correct features to my rooster again? How closely can you line breed without causing problems?

Yes @Corydg , that is weird. Let me apologize for her rudeness
roll.png
Too bad you aren't closer to my area. I know a lady who would love them. I wish I could help on the color, but I'm not familiar enough to be able to give a guess.

I see, thanks! It probably would be best to start that way, but I *have* to keep my silkie roo. He's the only thing to survive out of my last flock (was laid right before they got sick actually) so he's my #1 guy. Just a pretty pet really. His father was bearded and feather legged. His mother was one of 2 other silkie hens, not sure which. Both were the same except one was beardless, so that may present problems if she was his mother i'm guess? That'd mean he could also pass on a beardless gene correct? I have to work with what I have tho. What will the offspring look like first generation? Worth $5 each maybe if they turn out cute?
if its sizzled and got silkie in it i am sure most people will pay 10-15 for 2-3 week olds (since they are still straight run) since frizzle gene is considered cool and funky and sizzles are hot right now. if its a smooth sizzle it still would be worth 10$ if it has at least 5 toes or dark skin, it appears it is the straight comb that is the hardest to overcome. i would definatly use your rooster, it takes many generations to get full silkie feathering anyways, so just keep breeding him to the frizzled sizzle girls. a frizzled silkie is also desirable since it has the silkie feathering that is frizzled.

as far as i have been told about inbreeding in chickens it is not that big an issue unless you have a trait you dont like (like 6th toe).

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom