The Sizzle Thread!

Pics
Then I suppose I probably should try and breed them before I sell them. :) I can always sell them if I don't get what I want.

Hi Silkie Rose,
Is Peeps the buff from me also? I've never had a non-bearded, non-muffed Silkie before. Makes me wonder if he isn't from one of the Sizzle pens as I do get an occasional non-bearded chick pop up from time to time. I also breed for frizzled Silkies so I do sometimes get Sizzles with regular Silkie feathering. It will be interesting to see how he matures out. Hard to tell when they are in this gangly teen stage.
I agree with WestKnollAmy on the rest.
Benina is a gorgeous blue Sizzle & if everything is correct on her I would love to encourage your daughter to show her at the county fair.If she needs any advice or help, give me a call.
Hope is also very nice & single combs don't bother me either if the rest of the bird is very nice. I read several times here that SC is dominant & hard to get rid of but I haven't found that to be true at all. It will pop up from time to time when you breed Sizzle to smooth Sizzle because both birds carry the gene from the original cross, but a few back to Silkie breedings will make it pretty rare.
Charlie is a splash frizzled Silkie & looks very nice. "He" looks more like a girl to me but the comb looks a little large so I could be wrong. Again, if toes, comb, etc. are correct, I would also definitely encourage showing this one.

Sheri/Country

Amen! It will certainly pop up.
However, one of my Silkie breeders is a single comb roo, he will be 8 years old next month and still going strong. I hatched him from a very well respected Silkie breeder in NY and love his coloring and everything else about him so he has been one of my most used fellas for the past 5 years. SC will show up even when breeding birds without it so why get upset about it? It is just one more thing to work around.

And on the Silkie to Cochin cross...... I have been breeding mostly Silkie to Sizzle but do cross in Frizzle bantam Cochin on occasion. I wound up with a Silkied Frizzle bantam Cochin. He is pretty cool. Only 4 toes, yellow skin and the single comb. Very Cochin like but has Silkie Frizzled fluff. Now, what to breed him to? I hatched a chick out from him yesterday but it died. I interfered in my excitement for wanting it out of the shell and it bled out. You would think I would know better!

and so how would u get the sizzles in the first place? and if u know anybody with some buff ones will u let me know im gonna look on the forums in a little bit i was interested in frizzles and buff silkies so i figured hey why not get some buff sizzles lol anyways thanx so much for all ur help
To start a sizzle project you need frizzled cochins and silkies. Your first generation will be a hodgepodge of characteristics, but you would want to keep the frizzled birds with the most silkie characteristics. Breed these back to silkies. You will get a variety of feathers yet again. Regular silkie feathers, frizzled silkie feathers, smooth sizzle, and sizzles. Out of these you would ideally like to breed the smooth sizzle to the regular sizzles. Again, try to choose those with the most silkie characteristics!

There are pictures of all feather types a few pages back. I posted them myself by just googling the different types.

Hi Silkie Rose,
Is Peeps the buff from me also? I've never had a non-bearded, non-muffed Silkie before. Makes me wonder if he isn't from one of the Sizzle pens as I do get an occasional non-bearded chick pop up from time to time. I also breed for frizzled Silkies so I do sometimes get Sizzles with regular Silkie feathering. It will be interesting to see how he matures out. Hard to tell when they are in this gangly teen stage.
I agree with WestKnollAmy on the rest.
Benina is a gorgeous blue Sizzle & if everything is correct on her I would love to encourage your daughter to show her at the county fair.If she needs any advice or help, give me a call.
Hope is also very nice & single combs don't bother me either if the rest of the bird is very nice. I read several times here that SC is dominant & hard to get rid of but I haven't found that to be true at all. It will pop up from time to time when you breed Sizzle to smooth Sizzle because both birds carry the gene from the original cross, but a few back to Silkie breedings will make it pretty rare.
Charlie is a splash frizzled Silkie & looks very nice. "He" looks more like a girl to me but the comb looks a little large so I could be wrong. Again, if toes, comb, etc. are correct, I would also definitely encourage showing this one.

Sheri/Country

Yay!!! So good to hear what you think!! Yes, I got all of them from you. My daughter really wanted a Buff & you picked that one for her. He's very sweet. Is the non-bearded, non-muffed a bad thing?? Cuz you got one!! LOL I love him :) He has blue in his tail feathers & wings, too!!
I think Benina is perfect!!! She was one of the oddest funky chickens to watch fluff out, but I just bought an outfit for her today!! She's my favorite :) My 3 year old named her :)
I think Hope's single comb is cute. That's the one that's been crowing!! lol
Charlie has the IE for a girl :) I think she's adorable! She & Peep, the buff, have the same type of wings that almost seem sizzly. Do you think Peep is a frizzled silkie also?
She will be so excited about the possibility of showing these girls! Maybe we could have a field trip to your ranch & have you check them out? :)
Shelly

thanks looks like im gonna be lookin for some buff frizzle cochins and buff silkies ugh im addicted to something else now!
I posted a classified for some silkie and sizzle eggs, if you are interested! I hatched out a few of each this past batch of eggs! I'll post some pics of how the chicks are feathering out later tonight. Might save you some time in crossing with the cochins, culling, and crossing back. That can sometimes take up to a couple years to get what you want!

Last edited:
Yay!!! So good to hear what you think!! Yes, I got all of them from you. My daughter really wanted a Buff & you picked that one for her. He's very sweet. Is the non-bearded, non-muffed a bad thing?? Cuz you got one!! LOL I love him :) He has blue in his tail feathers & wings, too!!
I think Benina is perfect!!! She was one of the oddest funky chickens to watch fluff out, but I just bought an outfit for her today!! She's my favorite :) My 3 year old named her :)
I think Hope's single comb is cute. That's the one that's been crowing!! lol
Charlie has the IE for a girl :) I think she's adorable! She & Peep, the buff, have the same type of wings that almost seem sizzly. Do you think Peep is a frizzled silkie also?
She will be so excited about the possibility of showing these girls! Maybe we could have a field trip to your ranch & have you check them out? :)
Shelly

Well, a non-bearded Silkie isn't a bad thing & a lot of people raise them. It's just a variety of Silkie. However, I've never had any non-bearded in my Silkie flock so I would bet that Peeps is a Frizzled Silkie that may or may not frizzle more as he matures. If SQ, he can be shown as non-bearded.
I would love to see your babies in person but they are too young to have developed much of an immune system yet so a field trip at this age probably wouldn't be a good thing. My birds are all healthy but there's always a possibility that one could be coming down with something so we should probably wait until yours are older, or...maybe I could meet you down by the gate some morning right after a shower & clean clothes & check them out. How about it BYC'rs, Would that be safe for the chicks?

Thought I would share some pictures of this year's crop of Sizzles - especially the smooths. I didn't really care for the smooths at first, but in the last couple of generations the body type has improved tremendously & now I like them almost as much as the rough Sizzles. Chick buyers also really like them, especially since they can see all the beautiful feather patterns. IMHO I think these smooths look just like a nice quality Silkie with regular feathers - which is what I've been trying for. Let me know what you think.

I managed to produce some porcelain Sizzles for the first time this year & this is my first (and only) smooth porcelain cockerel & one of my Sizzle pullets. I can hardly wait to show these!

Another smooth Sizzle cockerel. I'm not sure how I got this color but he's very nice & I think I can show him as a calico splash.

Smooth Sizzle partridge pullet & smooth Sizzle blue pullet. People really like the smooth blues.

Two more smooth Sizzles - both splash.

Here are some of my Sizzles hatched late last year & still in the grow pen. I plan on showing them this year along with a few of the smooth Sizzles. I think this should be an exciting year. Also a busy one. Both chicks & hatching eggs are selling well so the popularity of Sizzles is really taking off. Maybe breed acceptance is closer than we think!

Thought I would share some pictures of this year's crop of Sizzles - especially the smooths. I didn't really care for the smooths at first, but in the last couple of generations the body type has improved tremendously & now I like them almost as much as the rough Sizzles. Chick buyers also really like them, especially since they can see all the beautiful feather patterns. IMHO I think these smooths look just like a nice quality Silkie with regular feathers - which is what I've been trying for. Let me know what you think.

I managed to produce some porcelain Sizzles for the first time this year & this is my first (and only) smooth porcelain cockerel & one of my Sizzle pullets. I can hardly wait to show these!

Another smooth Sizzle cockerel. I'm not sure how I got this color but he's very nice & I think I can show him as a calico splash.

Smooth Sizzle partridge pullet & smooth Sizzle blue pullet. People really like the smooth blues.

Two more smooth Sizzles - both splash.

Here are some of my Sizzles hatched late last year & still in the grow pen. I plan on showing them this year along with a few of the smooth Sizzles. I think this should be an exciting year. Also a busy one. Both chicks & hatching eggs are selling well so the popularity of Sizzles is really taking off. Maybe breed acceptance is closer than we think!

love.gif
I am a big fan of the smooths as well. I am just getting my sizzle project off the ground, but I'd love to eventually get some chicks from you. I just bought a new cabinet incubator, so my hobby budget is fairly shot at the moment, but hopefully by the end of the year I can get with you to get some! That porcelain hen is GORGEOUS! You have done a fantastic job with them!

So far I have been hatching sizzles in buff, partridge, and black. Hoping to add a few more colors later this year, so we will see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom