The Sizzle Thread!

Pics
Wow, the headaches HAVE began
gig.gif
What ever, i still wanna start from scratch
tongue.png
Good for you! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress & I'm sure all of us will happily enable you as you begin your Sizzle addiction! lol

Actually does anybody know of good quailty Sizzle hatching eggs or chickens for sale in Maine, New Hampshire, or even Mass.???
I have some, they sizzle x with paint silkie and i'm producing some khaki in this cross
I posted some of my sizzles in this thread.

aoxa,

Though George has a liking of my cochin - wonder what that cross would look like?

I hope your Cochin is a bantam.  If she's a standard, even if she's squatting, poor George is going to have to learn mountain climbing!
She is on the small side for a LF cochin. I don't know why she is so small. He can't easily get on her, but I have helped him :oops: - and there was success :gig

every time I make a hen squat, he comes running and tries to mount her. 90% of the time he is unsuccessful.

Aoxa-
Hi, Sorry, I've been working the last couple days.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. George is a curly sizzle, his daughter looks like a silkie-so silky feather that aren't frizzled? Correct? So his daughter is not a sizzle, she's a silky. She would not carry the gene for barbed (normal) feathers or the gene for frizzle. Her chicks will not carry these genes from her. Her genes are completely recessive when it comes to feathering. If you bred her to a smooth sizzle, at least 50% would have barbed feathers. The other 50% would depend on what the sizzle's other gene is. If he's hidding the gene for silky feathers 50% of the chicks will be silkie feathered. If his other gene is also for barbed feathers (he would likely be several generations sizzle) then 100% of her chicks will have smooth feathers. This is why that inital f1 generation all have barbed feathers. The Frizzle gene is also dominate so it works the same way but apparently you can tell if they have 2 copies of it (ie, brittle feathers-frazzle).

I don't know what the symbols are for these genes so I'm going to assign some.

s=silkie feathers
B=barbed feathers
F=frizzled feathers
n=not frizzled

Silky chicken (ss) x Silky chicken (ss) = 100% silky chicken (ss)
Sizzle (sB or BB) x sizzle (sB or BB) = maximum of 25 % chance of silky chicken occuring if both parents carry it (you can see why the later generations would created less silkies)
Silky (ss) x Sizzle (sB or BB) = (ss, sB, ss, sB) or (sB, sB, sB, sB) So 50% silky, 50 % Sizzle if Sizzle parent carries silky gene, 100% Sizzle if they do not carry sizzle gene
Curly SIzzle or Frilkie (either one) (nF) x Smooth sizzle or silkie (nn) = (nn, nF, nn, nF) so 50% frizzeled.

I transposed some of the genes so they'd be easy to recognize if you aren't used to looking at genes (sB and Bs would be same result)

I'm in love with the porcelain color and really want to see it on curly and smooth sizzles (anyone achieved this?) I'm picking up a pretty pair of porcelains tomorrow at Catdance as well as 2 dozen porcelain and lavender eggs.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/666900/buy-it-now-nice-young-porcelain-silkie-pair

That's my soon to be new pair of porcelains.

Here's the one I already have, his coloring is more extreme, but I think he's gorgeous. Wouldn't this be pretty on a SIzzle?

That WOULD be pretty. On both a smooth and a frizzled feathered sizzle. I'm hoping to get some smooth blues with a nice lacing patterns possibly out of my smooth splash eventually....if she would ever lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom