The Sizzle Thread!

Oh sonderah, I'm so sorry :(

I saw your post on the Silkie thread about having your flock tested and I was really hoping everything would be alright.

If it makes you feel any better, you may not have been the one to bring it in. MG/MS is commonly carried by all kinds of critters that make their way into our coops and runs and there isn't much to be done about that.

Do you get to keep any of your birds? I'm :fl that you kept your Sherri Sizzles inside and they tested negative?

Oh sonderah, I'm so sorry :(

I saw your post on the Silkie thread about having your flock tested and I was really hoping everything would be alright.

If it makes you feel any better, you may not have been the one to bring it in. MG/MS is commonly carried by all kinds of critters that make their way into our coops and runs and there isn't much to be done about that.

Do you get to keep any of your birds? I'm :fl that you kept your Sherri Sizzles inside and they tested negative?

Thanks. My Sheri Sizzles r only 1 month old. They will not test any bird under 4 months. They have been kept separately, but r in the same brooder some of my Juveniles have used in the past. The state allowed me to hold onto them for now. Deal is, I have to keep them inside in the brooder until mid January when they r old enough to test. Then I can have them tested and go from there. HOPEFULLY!!! They will test negative, and by then my 60 day wait time will be over with, then I can move them to one of my pens outside. If they test positive, I have to euthanize, and not use that brooder for 60 days. But will still be allowed to start over outside. I have only found VERY FEW people who are certified MG free, and am now on a waiting list to receive a dozen English Import Jubille Orpingtons from 1 of them the 1st week of April. I'll have to start with those and earn enough money b4 I can start buying more birds from others who are also certified MG free. It doesn't look like I will ever be able to get the same kinds of birds I had. :/ So. Fingers crossed that Sheri's babies are the ones who keep me able to work with Sizzles!!!!!

Thanks. My Sheri Sizzles r only 1 month old. They will not test any bird under 4 months. They have been kept separately, but r in the same brooder some of my Juveniles have used in the past. The state allowed me to hold onto them for now. Deal is, I have to keep them inside in the brooder until mid January when they r old enough to test. Then I can have them tested and go from there. HOPEFULLY!!! They will test negative, and by then my 60 day wait time will be over with, then I can move them to one of my pens outside. If they test positive, I have to euthanize, and not use that brooder for 60 days. But will still be allowed to start over outside. I have only found VERY FEW people who are certified MG free, and am now on a waiting list to receive a dozen English Import Jubille Orpingtons from 1 of them the 1st week of April. I'll have to start with those and earn enough money b4 I can start buying more birds from others who are also certified MG free. It doesn't look like I will ever be able to get the same kinds of birds I had.
hmm.png
So. Fingers crossed that Sheri's babies are the ones who keep me able to work with Sizzles!!!!!

I am so so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how devastating it must be. Sure does scare me with hatching eggs. I hope your sizzles are all right, its going to be a long 4 months for you Im sure. Wishing you the best and hoping you have a nice established (healthy) flock this time next year.

Oh man i can't do it. I went to go fill the water up and i just am too excited to see what he looks like as he grows. Looks like i am going to have to hang onto this guy until he learns to crow.
Holy cow! That is one heck of a comb already!!!
I am so so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how devastating it must be. Sure does scare me with hatching eggs. I hope your sizzles are all right, its going to be a long 4 months for you Im sure. Wishing you the best and hoping you have a nice established (healthy) flock this time next year.
Yes, its one of the worst, hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Plz be careful!
Was the decimation of your flock mandatory by the state?
I did have the option to go under permanent quarantine (no eggs or birds could ever leave my property) But, that was not a feasable choice in my situation. I cannot afford to have this "hobby" of it does not pay for itself. Buy selling hatching eggs and chicks, is how I paid for the food for them all. :/

In one short sentence, no they can't. They would have to eradicate the biggest portion of the state's population of chickens, and maybe feral birds as well. They would have to keep track of every one that came in proximity of where chickens or birds have been in the last 60 days. Ridiculous! Just another government waste of time and money. It isn't that I wouldn't like to see every one with clean stock. I'm being realistic.

In one short sentence, no they can't. They would have to eradicate the biggest portion of the state's population of chickens, and maybe feral birds as well. They would have to keep track of every one that came in proximity of where chickens or birds have been in the last 60 days. Ridiculous! Just another government waste of time and money. It isn't that I wouldn't like to see every one with clean stock. I'm being realistic.
heres what info i pulled up while doing a bit of research on respiratory problems.
i've also read wild birds eating near the coops can even infect them.
its why no one really tests for it.

Mycoplasma is present in 75% - 89% of ALL flocks, both commercial and private according to Dr. Scott Jones at the Baron Diagnostic Lab in Wisconsin. If you have bought birds from somewhere else or birds were previously raised on your property, it is highly likely that you have Mycoplasma in your birds. Most people never know it, as symptoms usually do not appear unless the flock is under stress. Common symptoms are decrease in egg production, also embyo and chick mortality (Mycoplasma can be transmitted via egg). Mycoplasma It is extremely hard to treat but Tiamulin (sold as Denagard) is a very effective antibiotic, especially against bacterial respiratory diseases. Denagard has the added advantage of having zero withdrawal period for eggs as it is unrelated to any antibiotic used in humans. You can read more about it here:

Back
Top Bottom