The Sizzle Thread!

Need some help PLEASE!! I just rehomed my silkie roo now I have 4 silkies and a olive egger who all grew up together since birth. The olive egger is picking on 1 of my girls, BAD picking feathers, making her bleed, I feel awful! I'm sooo new at this and I am unsure of what to do.. My girlfriend said it's reestablishing the pecking order, but the olive is twice their size I am worried to leave her alone cause she's being such a bully! Any suggestions please!! Other than a pot haha Thank you

Need some help PLEASE!! I just rehomed my silkie roo now I have 4 silkies and a olive egger who all grew up together since birth. The olive egger is picking on 1 of my girls, BAD picking feathers, making her bleed, I feel awful! I'm sooo new at this and I am unsure of what to do.. My girlfriend said it's reestablishing the pecking order, but the olive is twice their size I am worried to leave her alone cause she's being such a bully! Any suggestions please!! Other than a pot haha Thank you

You could try separating the OE (somewhere she can't see or hear the others) for a week. That should knock her down to the bottom of the pecking order and give the Silkies a chance to bond as a flock. Be warned though, Silkies are very docile and have a tendency to get bullied. So, your OE might go right back to her shenanigans as soon as you reintroduce her. You might have to consider sending her off to another home, or keeping a separate coop for a few standard sized birds. I don't keep large fowl breeds with my Silkies and Sizzles for this very reason.

Good luck.

I have several chicks this year that are frilkies(?) ...starry silkied feathered...and don't know what they are genetically so I don't know how to breed them. Do they breed the same as Sizzles? Or would they breed more like a regular Silkie? I don't want brittle feathers.

Thank you.

I'm finally on my first gen sizzles. I hatched 10 so far, another 15 on the way. Trying to decide who I need to keep! The father is a f2 sizzle, red comb but other than that, correct shape. My girls are all correct comb, color, toes so I hoped that would help. Rooster was free, so I went with him lol. Babies all have dark skin, correct toes. I got one frizzled silkie, and I think 5 sizzles. Their color is weird.

Want to keep the frizzle silkie, was really hoping for a couple regular looking silkies but didn't happen.

I'm finally on my first gen sizzles. I hatched 10 so far, another 15 on the way. Trying to decide who I need to keep! The father is a f2 sizzle, red comb but other than that, correct shape. My girls are all correct comb, color, toes so I hoped that would help. Rooster was free, so I went with him lol. Babies all have dark skin, correct toes. I got one frizzled silkie, and I think 5 sizzles. Their color is weird.

Want to keep the frizzle silkie, was really hoping for a couple regular looking silkies but didn't happen.

Are your hens Silkies, or Sizzles? Did you get any smooth Sizzles? I would keep the pullets with the best comb, skin and toes and replace your Sizzle rooster with a Silkie instead (the nicest one you can find). Breed your Sizzle girls back to him and then cross any of those daughters back to him as well. I started from scratch, and this was the route I took. The chick pictured is partridge, what color are you going for (just curious)? Honestly, I would completely disregard color at this point, focus on type and correct combs. You have to build the barn before you paint it...

This is what we call a Polizzle! A silver laced polish crossed with a sizzle! She is named Plume!

These are the sizzles we had with SL Polish, they are Razzle n Dazzle!

I'll keep trying but it keeps giving me trouble loading pictures from phone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom