The Sizzle Thread!

aoxa - You have a nice start on Sizzles with George. He's very nice & it looks like he has a good Silkie comb, which is one of the hardest things to get. It looks to me like your baby is a Frizzled Silkie but it's hard to tell at that age.

discohen - Spike is adorable! I love his mohawk. You'll have a lot of work to do with his skin & comb color but the comb is flat so that's a start.

I think you're both starting off better than I did. I bred a beautiful SQ frizzled btm Cochin to a gorgeous SQ Silkie hen & the birds below were the best I got. But we entered the hen in the country fair & she got me a lot of orders for chicks so I was off & running. Good luck to both of you on your current & future Sizzles.

Thank you! We do live spike, he is our only rooster at the moment :-D
He is a handsome boy! Do you know what you call his coloring? Do you know what his parents look like? At the moment all I have is white. I have a black frizzle almost grown I will breed before the end of the summer. Then next year I'm frizzling all color cochen. I don't want to get stuck with just breeding 1 kind. I'm hoping they get the improvements on posting pics here done soon. I can't post here til they do. I just have 2 of my boy posted in my album for now. I have over 100 birds & only a few in my album. Adding daily.
Well his father was also a sizzle, who had a rose comb, like spike, exept I think he might have had dark feet. I can't remember I bought him from someone and they showed me the father. He was all black with a red/orange cape. So his mother must have been a very light color for him to be almost all white. He had one other brother who was all orangy color, but not sure if they had the same mom, but they for sure had the same dad.

What color frizzle Cochins do you have? I have frizzle Cochins in columbian, calico, & pencil lace, & a few others. Since you have several colors, can you tell me what this color is? They are sisters & I don't have a roo in that color so put them in a mixed color pen with a pencil lace roo & I'm getting some nice partridge. I don't want to hijack this Sizzle thread, so can you answer me by email ([email protected]) or PM? Thanks

I can hardly wait to get started hatching eggs again. I'm just getting over the 50+ I've had in the brooder this year. Have 11 guinea in there now. Guess its time to fill the incubator again. I feel the erdge. All I have sitting now is a duck. I don't brooder those.

Lady Peckington did well at the youth fair today. She got called a Polish on several occasions and attracted quite a bit of attention! Sheri, you will be getting some calls I think! Everyone wanted to know what she was and where I got her and where to buy good quality silkies from. I handed out your website and number to a few people ;) They didn't really give awards or do rankings, but she was calm, quiet, docile and cooperative for showmanship.

p.s. She was nice and clean with no yellow! The tide worked! Plus she smelled laundry fresh!

I'm so sorry I missed it but I had people coming to buy chicks at 10, 11, & 12, so I didn't even have time to sneak away for a quick peek. It's too bad they didn't give out ribbons, but if they had, we both know she & your daughter would have won!

How funny that people would mistake Lady Peckington for a Polish. They must not have noticed those big fluffy feet! Thanks for handing out my number. Right now I have more chicks than I know what to do with. I had people waiting for chicks but my incubator was acting up & I was getting terrible hatches so I decided to put in every egg I had in hopes of getting at least a few chicks. Whoops!! The 'bator started working, I got huge hatches, & I have chicks running amok all over the place! I won't do that again.

Good luck at the county fair.

Question for you sizzle breeders...How do you continue the sizzle line and the generations? I'm clueless here and want to learn more. Since Lady Peckington is a smooth sizzle, what would she be bred to to make more smooth sizzles? What if we wanted the frizzled sizzle? Explain the genetics to me please. :) Obviously you are going to get varying things. And also...what about color genetics?

And thank you all. I just did their entries for the fair today! Both girls and their birds are entered in showmanship and in the feather footed category. Excited!!

Question for you sizzle breeders...How do you continue the sizzle line and the generations? I'm clueless here and want to learn more. Since Lady Peckington is a smooth sizzle, what would she be bred to to make more smooth sizzles? What if we wanted the frizzled sizzle? Explain the genetics to me please. :) Obviously you are going to get varying things. And also...what about color genetics?

And thank you all. I just did their entries for the fair today! Both girls and their birds are entered in showmanship and in the feather footed category. Excited!!
Well not sure about the colors, but if she is related to any frizzled sizzles, then she will still cary the gene, though not as strong so some of her babies would get the frizzle feather gene

I'm under the impression the frizzle gene is dominate-if it is present, it will be expressed. If a chicken has one copy of the gene they will be a curly sizzle, 2 copies (both parents frizzled) they will be a frazzle with brittle feathers, no frizzle gene at all equals smooth. You breed the smooths to frizzled to potentially get frizzled, but not frizzled to frizzled. The silkie feather gene on the other hand is recessive and will pop up, even out of two sizzle parents.

Back
Top Bottom