The "Smart Coop" - In search of reviews/opinions

Its cute, and small... but as you said, you're in Cleveland... I doubt that big hole in the bottom of the coop that allows the poop to drop to the ground is going to keep your girls warm enough.
I've found that many there are farmers in my area that build coops... I'd check that and craig's list out before I'd buy this one. I know my girls would be too big, and too cold in my New England winters...

Oh, I didn't know Cleveland was cold. You could add a solid floor, but when you start having to add things, the cost goes up, (and up). I've been in your position, it's very frustrating trying to find something and most options will have a downside after you've got it.

That wire floor wouldn't let poo fall through. Chook poo is bigger than that. Also caecals would just smear into it. Might not be too hard to brush off, rinse off, though.

Another alternative to pre-fab is to look for secondhand child cubbies. My second coop is a cubby that was being given away. It cost me to have my handyman dismantle it, transport it and reassemble it, but it still worked out pretty cheap compared to pre-fab and it's huge for the chickens and for me to get in there.

The Smart Coop doesn't have a wire floor. The poop falls right onto the ground and dries out because of the side screens. I have pavers that the coop sits on so that predators can't dig under.

Typical prefab...too cute and too small.

There's a 'rule of thumb', 4sqft of floor space per bird in coop..... it's a bare minimum and if you live in a winter wonderland, double that space.
And make it tall, walk in tall...easier to maintenacen all year round and much better for venitilation in winter.

True if you don't attach the run. But we have runs with ours so there is plenty of space.

The Smart Coop doesn't have a wire floor. The poop falls right onto the ground and dries out because of the side screens.
So there's no floor at all.....might get pretty chilly in there during my harsh winters.

True if you don't attach the run. But we have runs with ours so there is plenty of space.
No amount of run space can make up for a cramped coop at roost time.

Maybe you can find some one on Craigs List that builds them? That is what I did. I found a guy that builds them in NC, we told him what size we wanted and how big of a run we wanted, 4 weeks later..Coop! I even asked him to build me a mini-barn to keep my feed and shavings in.

Good luck with your search.
In NC? thats where I am. We are looking for coops now and later a pole barn. Do you have this guys info?

I love my smart coop, but I live in southern California, so they don't get cold. I have two runs attached, but I also let them free-range during the day. I'll have 7-8 chickens soon, so I am adding the lean-to and more runs.
Two runs attached.....made by the smart coop ppl?

Back
Top Bottom