The Smithies, the $5 "Ayam Cemani" black meat bird

The two in and by the left corner (w/yellow) are Black and Mottled Java...the rest are the ACx babies. I did not expect to see them as dark as they are. Will be interesting to see how the darkest grow out...

Last edited:

The two in and by the left corner (w/yellow) are Black and Mottled Java...the rest are the ACx babies. I did not expect to see them as dark as they are. Will be interesting to see how the darkest grow out...

What are they crossed with? I'm curious. I realize that I'm on the AC Smithies thread and I have SH halfies, however I just had to ask, since SH'S are basically 'Smithies with a foreign accent." :D
I had a pair of Svart Honas, but when my pullet died I crossed the cockerel on my other hens (Tetra Tint, Golden Buff, Cream Legbar...). I got the darkest pullets from the Legbars. They're just as black as my roo, though the cockerals have been this beautiful fm black barred pattern. The Tetra's pullets have come out this lovely cream color with dark charcoal legs, skin, beak, comb, wattles, and black spots here and there similar to a splash. My OEGB had 4 black chicks (3 died) and the pullets were all solid black and the cockeral was solid except for a tiny white spot on top of his head. The pullet that lived is solid black and looks exactly like the SH hen I lost.
My point is this, and I realize it could just be a fluke and the next generation could be all wonky in its coloring, but either my rooster is passing what seems to be exceptional color, or I accidentally crossed him with the right color hens. I'm referring to the solid black pullets specifically. I'm interested in finding out what color your hens were in comparison to mine. Again just curious. Thanks

I have the bean line, and he is throwing out black skinned babies with black mouths and tongues even over my easter eggers and polish.
Ee x bean line

vent of ee x bean line

other hatchlings, 2 are of bean line hens covered by gff roo. The rest are my ee x my bean line roo, 1 is a splash polish x bean line and has black skin, mouth and tongue as well as feathers.

first batch hatched by my bean line roo

my rooster

This makes me think the bean line is not as bad as some say.

I would love to work on a smithie line! I have a pair from the bean line (8 weeks old) and would love some eggs to increase diversity if you still are sending free eggs? I sent a pm thank you :)

Does anyone here know if DCchicken is alright? I haven't seen any recent posts. Have they left BYC? I hope everything is ok!?

My second batch of 'Smithies' and the 'Jones' were added (ACx/EE) this time!

Seven out, still have seven to go!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom