The Smithies, the $5 "Ayam Cemani" black meat bird

Interesting thread, will be great to see how you go with this project.
Quote: I'd put more emphasis on those who hold weight well at all ages, personally, not those who eat a lot quickly; just my 2 cent's worth. In meat birds who gorge, or any birds really, it often indicates feed inefficiency; they're scoffing like their lives depend on it because they're deficient in something and it may be based on congenital incapacity to assimilate all nutrients properly from their food. Easily bred in and not uncommon, that trait.

My biggest, meatiest chooks were never those who ate like it was their last meal, and I found it pretty doable to establish good dual purpose mongrel strains even while culling against excessive dependency on human feeding, not that it was ever a common trait in mine, being for the most part descended from often neglected backyard flocks all over the place...

I also used Silkies and found them very beneficial for many traits including fleshing qualities; there seems to be a large discrepancy between American and Australian Silkies in this area, from what I hear.

I used both small Silkies and large ones, the smaller ones were show bred supposedly but still chunky little fluffballs, and the black fleshing was pretty predominant in outcrossed offspring, no matter the breed it crossed out with, even when the skin was white, yellow, willow or whatever.

I prefer some Silkie genetics in my meat birds as it makes them better fleshed at any age, more feed efficient, and juicier, more tender. At least in my experience which appears to be very contradictory to many other people's. The second-heaviest rooster I ever owned was the large fowl Silkie-cross I used for breeding. He was about the same size as his mother, who was a very large but otherwise type-correct purebred Silkie, just a solid brick of a bird. He was yellow skinned with a black spot on his back, lol, despite the coloring his offspring ended up. He had 'gecko' patterned legs and feet, with equal amounts of dark blue and white in blobby horizontally striped patterns, looked quite interesting.

One history of Silkies I read said that they were meat birds, bred for that purpose, before they became ornamentals. Some certainly seem to retain this capacity. I know some people cull against obvious gender traits in combs and wattles in Silkies (leaving only individuals which to me look like they've all got leucosis or are dying of some other wasting disease) and perhaps in culling against the larger combs, wattles etc they've also culled against the other traits like meat qualities.

Quote: (Source: Don Schrider, Communication Director, American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Assessment for Improving Productivity)

Only came across that info recently but it correlates with what I've seen firsthand. Thought I'd share it for what it's worth.

I'm not awfully familiar with some/many breeds, lol... I joined this thread actually wondering if this Cemani sort of meat bird you mention was established already, as I have a hen who is totally black except for mulberry wattles and brown eyes. She's shaped and sized like an Australorp but hidden in her background are Silkie genes; I thought for a moment this breed you mention, if it were an established breed, would explain this appearance, since the little I've read on pure Cemani sounded like it's a lot of work to establish such black birds, and certainly I've not selected for all-black birds at all. I've got a lot of birds with black skin, flesh, bones, organs etc in my flock, lots of black eyes and dark skins. If anything it's seemed almost a dominant trait.

I don't mind the blackness myself, if anything I prefer it. I find it superior to white flesh when it comes to eating qualities but a lot of people also reckon that --- 'once you go black you'll never go back' is often a joke made about black cattle, pigs, and so forth.

Darker animals have greater nutrient levels than pale ones almost as a rule, because black or dark pigmentation requires higher levels of sulfur, copper, iodine, and so forth. (All things Australians especially are generally chronically deficient in, and all things vital to full health).

You can eat color, and it's good for you, lol! I've heard some breeders say color doesn't matter, 'you can't eat color' --- yes you can and it's nutritionally superior to absence of color. Pigmentation is made up of nutrients. White animals are often an adaptation to extremely nutrient poor areas and the taste suffers accordingly not to mention their nutritional profile.

I think you're onto a good thing here, hope it's well received by potential customers. It's high time people got over this whole 'breed everything white because we don't like black pinfeathers' thing.

Best wishes.

I know very little about AC, but it is my understanding that the entire story about "the Smithsonian line" is a complete fabrication and the birds mongrels that may or may not have any AC lineage, correct? Didn't NY Mike have to know this? (I concede, this is the guy who posted his full name and address, indicating that it was the location of extremely valuable livestock in his classified ad, and then complained that his birds were stolen. And it's still up!) I admire everyone's civility with regard to being scammed, especially when NY Mike has been so forthcoming as to where he can be served with papers.

And I guess in my roundabout way I'm trying to ask, if these aren't the AC they were represented to be, just what are they?
To make a long story short:

There was a well breeder that had a pair of Ayam Cemani given to him. They were landrace at that time. At that time, no one wanted them except for black meat birds. The rooster died. So the breeder began breeding it with lavender leghorns to try to improve them (egg production, look, etc.).
So they are half Lavender Leghorn and half landrace Ayam Cemani. That's a good starting point and explains the red combs and wattles and blue tint to the earlobes.

Last edited:
Are fm traits either dominant homozygous needing both parents to carry or with is it possible with one expressing fully, can one parent have fm in its recent ancestry but not display there is hidden fm, till bred with the homozygous fm bird, to find the chicks from this breeding larger, more robust and vigorous but also much more intense black skinned?
I've already had these results...is this a fluke?

Do we keep breeding on the Smithies culling out smaller, less fm saturation, hoping to increase size and fm in a more closed program?. ..maybe as you say DC adding perhaps Yeonsan Ogye, Hmong, ...does anyone know or anything about Kadaknath from India? Are ther any breeding these in the USA? I've been searching recently what I could find out...seems some are looking very much like AC...but seem to be not any standard more again a landrace. ..still they look of good size, that appearance though isn't confirmed.

What I'm hoping to do with the culls I don't eat of the Smithies, is to breed into what I've started a big meaty fm landrace chicken...on my way and adapting as availability of fm birds from ther sources become available. I'm like a sponge trying to soak up every morsal I possibly can of info and advice on how to do this. ..

This project discussion is so beneficial to me...to talk about breeding plans for meat bird fm Smithies , especially with other like minded people. ..who are passionate about fm....how this gene works...what makes studies show twice the protein value as also showing too the multiplication of carnosine.

If I am able to get AC hybrids, or Hmong, Yeonsan Ogye also someday crossed with Smithies I'd love sharing with this group if this will help anyone here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3245302/
Discussing FM mostly using the Silkie as it's easier to obtain than the other FM breeds.

One of the earliest studies of the Silkie dermal hyperpigmentation phenotype was by Bateson and Punnett in 1911 which together with the work of Dunn and Jull showed the autosomal dominant nature of the *FM allele in conjunction with the sex-linked Inhibitor of Dermal Melanin (ID) locus acting upstream of *FM; here we have adopted the currently recommended nomenclature system for the chicken where FM refers to the Fibromelanosis locus and *FM and *N refer to the dominant Fibromelanosis inducing allele and the recessive normally pigmented wild-type allele respectively. All birds expressing the FM phenotype are homozygous wild-type *N at the ID locus, or hemizygous in the case of females as ID is located on the Z chromosome.

The chicks I currently have of "haffies" have pink skin, and 4 of the more ayam cemani LEANING looking chicks have black skin. Their feathers are starting to come in and they are losing their downy appearance.

My friend has more chicks for me to get soon, I will probably pick more up when I get bresse from dcchicken's sister in a couple of weeks. So, should I be looking for chicks with black tongues? A few have shown the black on the underside of the tongue... a few have a tiny bit of white on their toes and 1 has a partial silver leakage on one feather on its wingtip.

Is there a way to tell how dark the meat is without cutting?
What are the key things to look for when choosing which birds to keep.
I am getting some hybrids (90%ers) off ebay and I will add DC's Smithies to them when I get some eggs from him.

We should get bumper stickers

I AM SMITHIE

Is there a way to tell how dark the meat is without cutting?

Not sure, but I've wondered the same. Best guess I reckon would be to check the skin with a strong torch, press it to the skin, and see if it creates a significant red glow, or not; that'd take experience to make a decent test out of, though. Also I'd check inside the mouth, the ears, the vent as well, etc. Some zealous researcher probably wouldn't balk at making little cuts to check but that's not very safe or necessarily humane, given their death rates under anesthesia means they'd need it done without painkiller for the best survival rates.
Best wishes.

Strong torch is flash light right? The new LED lights are strong enough to candle eggs too

Any sort of torch that's strong enough, yeah. Flash lights or torches or whatever you want to call them. I use LED lights for candling etc, just the cheap little things you get just about everywhere these days. I'm going to experiment on my own chooks with the LED light, I've got enough dark ones and light ones to be able to have some spectrum to learn from.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom