The story of mango....the best sun conure VERY LONG POST ever

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
This is very long so don't worry, you don't have to read it all.

This is for my sweet little mango, flying in heaven.
Mango was, well, no words can describe him, he was gorgeous in every way and the sweetest thing in the world. I got him as a early birthday gift from my parents, we had talked about it since my hamster titi, RIP, had passed away months before. We found mango on Craigslist and went to get him. I had never had a parrot before, my mom has a cockatiel but she is super mean so my only experience with parrots was her, I was scared at first but quickly realized how wonderful mango was. It wasn't long before he was snuggling in bed while I watched TV and was my best friend. We were a inseparable pare. I let his wings grow put so he could fly around my room and stuff. Then one day I was trying to get him in his cage and he was flying around like he always did, he flew to the floor and I tried blocking him from going under my bed with my food. I accidentally stepped, not very hard, on his back. I quickly lifted my foot and he screamed and flew but crashed. I put him on a perch and ran to get my mom. We took him to a local vet who took x-rays and said it was most likely a pulled muscle and stress causing the very labored breathing. We took mango home and put him in a small cage and he seemed better. The next morning at 5 AM my mom wakes me up saying we need to get him to a exotic vet asap. So we drive the 1½ hours to a exotic vet who puts him in a oxygen chamber for a few hours but had no diagnosis. We took him home, again he was better, and he was good.....until the next morning at 5 AM again. He was again whistling while breathing and having a extremely hard time breathing. Thus time we drove 2 hours to another exotic vet who put him in the oxygen chamber and used a nebulizer for him. They said he most likely caught pneumonia from all the stress. We stayed all day with him in the chamber and left at night. We came to pick him up the next day....well this time they told us they were going to wean him off the oxygen.....we came to a whistling, panting bird. They told us they "could do nothing more" and sent us too another exotic vet, this time a certified exotic vet, who put him in the chamber and told us that he probably had a punctured lung and said that we should put him down. I just couldn't, so after 3 days at that vet we made a home made oxygen chamber (see pics) and were going to try to wean him off one point every week. He was doing great!!! I was starting to have hope he would make it. We bathed him every day or every other day and he enjoyed it. Then one day he had what was like a stroke while we bathed him, he could not move but was still alive. After hours of hoping he would snap out of it I decided to put him down and out of this suffering. We called the vet and I decided to hold him one last time before taking him. To my relief he passed away in my lap, where he was happiest. He even tried climbing to my shoulder but he obviously did not have the strength. I feel so bad, like I killed him 😔. He was my everything. This was last May, he was in the last vet over my birthday. I miss him so dearly, all I can hope is he knew he was loved. He loved his "Mr. Pineapple" toy which he used to cuddle with all the time he would always put his favorite treat, dried papaya, in his water. He liked the flavori guess. Surprisingly I'm smiling while writing this, getting to remember my best friend and his silly antics. I rescued a cockatoo the next day because I couldn't stand coming into my room without my welcome squawk. Her name is cookie and I love her so so much but I can't help but miss my mango. Here are some pictures.
Screenshot_20220821-205542_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-205552_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-205605_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-205700_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-205717_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-205817_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-205905_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-210154_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-210206_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-210333_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-210358_Photos.jpg

Sweet birdy! Very handsome, I see how he got his name Mango.
Thanks, he was gorgeous, pictures can't do him justice. I see so many sun conure named mango.
Some animals have a piece of our hearts forever. Hugs
He definitely will, I have his urn in my bedroom so I can hold him when I feel sad. I love cookie more then anything but sometimes I do wish I got another conure.

I am so sorry for your loss. He was absolutely stunning. ❤️❤️❤️

I know no amount of words can make the pain go away, but I hope you can find peace in the fact that he will never be in pain again, and is free to fly wherever he desires. Big hugs.

I am so sorry for your loss. He was absolutely stunning. ❤️❤️❤️

I know no amount of words can make the pain go away, but I hope you can find peace in the fact that he will never be in pain again, and is free to fly wherever he desires. Big hugs.
Thank you, he was a sweetheart. Funny though, he hated traveling. He would spit up every time unless I covered his travel cage.

I am just adding bits about him as I post

Mango was a gorgeous parrot! Looks very friendly. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sad story.
Thanks, he was the most friendly to me, my mom, and everyone else but absolutely hated my dad. I have no idea why, he would fly on his neck and bite him repeatedly. He was so nice to LITERALLY EVERYONE else but hated my dad.

This is very long so don't worry, you don't have to read it all.

This is for my sweet little mango, flying in heaven.
Mango was, well, no words can describe him, he was gorgeous in every way and the sweetest thing in the world. I got him as a early birthday gift from my parents, we had talked about it since my hamster titi, RIP, had passed away months before. We found mango on Craigslist and went to get him. I had never had a parrot before, my mom has a cockatiel but she is super mean so my only experience with parrots was her, I was scared at first but quickly realized how wonderful mango was. It wasn't long before he was snuggling in bed while I watched TV and was my best friend. We were a inseparable pare. I let his wings grow put so he could fly around my room and stuff. Then one day I was trying to get him in his cage and he was flying around like he always did, he flew to the floor and I tried blocking him from going under my bed with my food. I accidentally stepped, not very hard, on his back. I quickly lifted my foot and he screamed and flew but crashed. I put him on a perch and ran to get my mom. We took him to a local vet who took x-rays and said it was most likely a pulled muscle and stress causing the very labored breathing. We took mango home and put him in a small cage and he seemed better. The next morning at 5 AM my mom wakes me up saying we need to get him to a exotic vet asap. So we drive the 1½ hours to a exotic vet who puts him in a oxygen chamber for a few hours but had no diagnosis. We took him home, again he was better, and he was good.....until the next morning at 5 AM again. He was again whistling while breathing and having a extremely hard time breathing. Thus time we drove 2 hours to another exotic vet who put him in the oxygen chamber and used a nebulizer for him. They said he most likely caught pneumonia from all the stress. We stayed all day with him in the chamber and left at night. We came to pick him up the next day....well this time they told us they were going to wean him off the oxygen.....we came to a whistling, panting bird. They told us they "could do nothing more" and sent us too another exotic vet, this time a certified exotic vet, who put him in the chamber and told us that he probably had a punctured lung and said that we should put him down. I just couldn't, so after 3 days at that vet we made a home made oxygen chamber (see pics) and were going to try to wean him off one point every week. He was doing great!!! I was starting to have hope he would make it. We bathed him every day or every other day and he enjoyed it. Then one day he had what was like a stroke while we bathed him, he could not move but was still alive. After hours of hoping he would snap out of it I decided to put him down and out of this suffering. We called the vet and I decided to hold him one last time before taking him. To my relief he passed away in my lap, where he was happiest. He even tried climbing to my shoulder but he obviously did not have the strength. I feel so bad, like I killed him 😔. He was my everything. This was last May, he was in the last vet over my birthday. I miss him so dearly, all I can hope is he knew he was loved. He loved his "Mr. Pineapple" toy which he used to cuddle with all the time he would always put his favorite treat, dried papaya, in his water. He liked the flavori guess. Surprisingly I'm smiling while writing this, getting to remember my best friend and his silly antics. I rescued a cockatoo the next day because I couldn't stand coming into my room without my welcome squawk. Her name is cookie and I love her so so much but I can't help but miss my mango. Here are some pictures. View attachment 3231371View attachment 3231372

View attachment 3231374View attachment 3231375View attachment 3231377View attachment 3231378View attachment 3231380View attachment 3231381View attachment 3231383View attachment 3231384View attachment 3231385
My heart goes out to you on your loss of Mango. What you posted is the perfect way to honor him. I've experienced something very simalar. I had a Budgie named Brandy who was the sweetest little girl who loved eating millet and perching on shoulders. But one day, I was putting the budgies back into the aviary (yes, I have a big aviary for my budgies) and when I closed the door, it wouldn't shut. something was blocking it, and with horror I realized that Brandy wanted to come back out and got caught in the door. She fell to the ground and started wheezing, so I scooped her up and put her in a small, warm box. I was getting ready to take her to the emergency vet, but when I wenrt to get her box, I realized there was an extremely low chance she's survive. So I pet her gently for about ten seconds and then she was gone. I burried her in the succluent garden and put a special rock over her grave. I'll never forgive myself for what I've done, but I know that her spirit is with me, forever and always.
❤️Sending hugs.❤️

My heart goes out to you on your loss of Mango. What you posted is the perfect way to honor him. I've experienced something very simalar. I had a Budgie named Brandy who was the sweetest little girl who loved eating millet and perching on shoulders. But one day, I was putting the budgies back into the aviary (yes, I have a big aviary for my budgies) and when I closed the door, it wouldn't shut. something was blocking it, and with horror I realized that Brandy wanted to come back out and got caught in the door. She fell to the ground and started wheezing, so I scooped her up and put her in a small, warm box. I was getting ready to take her to the emergency vet, but when I wenrt to get her box, I realized there was an extremely low chance she's survive. So I pet her gently for about ten seconds and then she was gone. I burried her in the succluent garden and put a special rock over her grave. I'll never forgive myself for what I've done, but I know that her spirit is with me, forever and always.
❤️Sending hugs.❤️
PS. I also have a bird named Mango! He's a yellow Budgie who was hatched in my aviary by the pair Libby and Blizzard. He's a pest and looks up to the leader of my flock, Blue. 😆

Back
Top Bottom