The Story of my Greyhounds!

Quote:
I agree, rescue dogs know they have been saved. (I have 8 rescues myself) God Bless You for taking good such care of these dogs! I respect and admire you and your wife for your commitment to them.

Thank you for sharing!!
I love greys, but we have small animals and birds as well as the chickens and worry about them being too attracted to them, and where I live, we do NOT have a fenced yard.
But thank you.. great story...

Here are a few of my favorite fosters over the years.

13350_101_0284.jpg

This is bo a true wildman and such a funny dog. He would lay like this and as you would walk by he would bite at your legs lol (play biting). He would then get all worked up and roll onto his back and bicycle kick his legs in the air just flail them around what a crazy dog. Very hard to let him go but he went to a great home and loving family. He is a really pretty golden blonde color.

13350_087.jpg

This is jackie a dog we received from a breeder in kansas she was so terrified of men that she wouldn't even stay in the same room with me for a month. I would sit on the floor in front of the couch with treats and she finally started warming up to me, and after about 3 months she was much better still a little shy but pretty much a normal dog. We fostered jackie for 2 years all together she did go out to be adopted once but was returned. About 5 months ago a woman who has adopted 2 other greys from us was moving to a bigger place and wanted a 3rd so she tried jackie and just fell in love with her we are so happy that she found her forever home. It was hard giving her up but it means we can help another dog now. By the end of the 2 yrs we had her she had blossomed into a wonderful dog who overcame her shyness and would even push others out of the way to get to people. And you can see in the pic she loved to have her hind end scritched
big_smile.png

13350_100_0567.jpg

This is lilly we called her circusdog though because she could balance very well on her back legs like a circus trick dog. LOL its funny all the little nicknames you come up with for your animals isn't it. She is one of the prettiest greys we've ever had and so sweet she would just kind of ooze onto your lap wanting to be loved. She is a very big girl as tall as most of males we get,. We still dog sit her every now and then when her family goes on vacation.

les

Last edited:
Ahh... they are beautiful! A great thing you are doing rescuing Greys.

I miss my grey. She passed away last year at 11 yrs old. I adopted her from a Greyhound rescue in Colorado Springs. She had been a racer in Kansas and Colorado for 5 years.

The best dog I ever had. My only regret was she was a solo dog. Grey's are so social and are breed and live in large numbers. I always felt sad that she didn't have another doggie friend.

Rest in peace... Herey!

HerePic.jpg

What a pretty girl, sorry to hear she passed away.
hugs.gif
They really are social dogs i guess thats what happens when you grow up with hundreds of dogs around, however they are very adaptable. It would amaze me when we would go to the breeder farms to pickup dogs and there is run after run with adult dogs in them, then large fenced in areas for puppies to grow out usually a litter to a pen. Then we would go inside and see all the crates with dogs in them, and the brood area with all the nursing moms and expecting moms. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to care for that many. I asked one farm how many dogs he had on premises and he said around 200 but he had close to 400 counting the dogs out racing around the country.

Yeah... I don't know how I'd feel about visiting a Greyhound "farm". The crazy amount of dogs they raise... all in attempts to find the fast ones that can win races and make money. Makes me sad to think of all the slow and mediocre dog and what becomes of them. This breed of dog is truly in need of rescues.

I volunteered at a rescue in Colorado Springs... where I got my Grey. Those dogs are so friendly and loving and gentle. It's so cool that you can walk like a dozen at a time! I know they have been heavily selectively breed to be gentile and docile. Guess they have to be when you have "farms" dealing with hundreds of dogs.

I was glad the rescue I helped at was able to close. Live racing was banned in CO-Springs and so the supply of Greys dried up. They still raced in Denver back then though... not sure about today.

Thank you for rescuing these beautiful animals! Mine always drew lots of attention everywhere I took her.

Beautiful story. I've had three greyhounds and once my rescue "mutt" passes on, I'll be getting another grey.

Roxie...the love of my life. Passed away at age 11.

Banana Jack...raced even with one eye (I have to give the previous racing owner credit that she didn't put him down when he did that).

Goldie....never raced (I think she was too scared of the bunny!). Got along fine with my cat and my small birds.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom