The Sussex thread!

Just my opinion, and please take this with a huge grain of salt since I don't even own a copy of the SOP and am not as familiar with sussex as most others here, but I would probably sell/cull her. She seems to have too slender a build in addition to too much white. My 2 year old SS don't even have quite that much white on them and my understanding (and experience) is that she will get more white with each molt. I guess if you had a roo that was lacking in white then the too much white could be useful to offset that. But something about her type just doesn't seem quite right to me.

Thank you Aina for your opinion. A few of my SS seem to be smaller and I thought it was just the age, but that mostly white one was bugging me. I'll probably sell or cull her along with a smaller-than-usual SS I have. Since they're 5 months old, should I continue to feed them grower or higher protein or the layer 16% feed? Some are laying already but I wasn't sure. Thank you for any info/advice...... :)

Hi Everyone,
I have one Speckled Sussex pullet who has just turned 20 weeks old. I don't know much about the breed, but I was wondering if it is typical for this breed to have a small comb and waddles. She seems so far behind my other birds in that regard. On a good note, she just gave me her first egg this morning.

Her name is Gweneth.

Her comb looks just fine for her age. They do get a bigger comb but they are no as large as an pro,or rir
Thanks so much. I just didn't know if it was the breed or if she was stunted in some way....lol
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom