The Sussex thread!

Red Sussex in the US? (Besides Waltz Ark)
Wondering if there are any decent breeding programs out there. I hear they are non existent in exhibition circles these days.

Leela
Kindred Hill Farm, NH
President of the American Sussex Association

Answered your PM but I'll post here also what little I found out about them when I got a batch of them from Sandhill as packing peanuts cause they couldn't fill my order with one of the breeds I ordered.
Sandhill says; "Red Sussex: We've been working with two (2) strains of this rare English breed for some time. We've been hesitant to offer them as they still show some variability. We find them to be vigorous and thrifty but still show color variations."
Waltz Ark going from memory said something similar but claim they have been hatching red's that look like red's.
I read on a thread somewhere on here awhile back, don't remember which one and have been unable to locate the comment again but apparently Green Fire Farms used to comment on BYC and had made mention that they had once imported some Red Sussex themselves and encountered the same thing, color variations and said more than likely something else had been bred into them at some point and keeps popping up.

In all my online travels the only two places I could find them in the USA were Waltz's and Sandhill, and really no mention of them anywhere online on any site BYC or anywhere. Shame, beautiful breed when they look right, that pic of a Red Sussex rooster on
Brittanic Rare Breeds is just phenomenal!​

I'll see if I can find my pics. I had a couple cockerels with black in the chest and one of the three pullets was closer towards a brown than red.

The two cockerels top and left were the one's with too much black in them, looks like on their backs also

The above pullet didn't have much for black neck feathers but was a nice red
pullet bellow was the one that was more brown

About all the pics I have of them.

The American Sussex Association is back on track! I am the new Interim President.

I breed and show Speckled Sussex.

We are offering a membership special through the end of Jan! Only $10 per year for individual memberships.

You can sign up from our website;

www.americansussex.org

Please visit us on facebook as well!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanSussexAssociation/

All the best,

Leela
President, American Sussex Association

Just wanted to add, while Sandhill isn't the easiest to deal with, and does not breed specifically to SOP, this group of birds was the best two breeds I've ever had as far as temperament. I've never in 20+yrs of my own raising chickens and many more before when I was young and my parents had them, ever saw multiple roosters with no problems. Had two red sussex and two white giant roosters in that mix I kept for awhile, never saw any serious aggression in either breed.

Urgent, Urgent, Red Sussex Flock for sale in British Columbia, Canada!!!!

Hi,
I am sharing this for any intereted parties.
I found this obscure ad from Jan 8, 2017. Do you have any members in British Columbia
who can see these birds or maybe buy them and hold for other club members? I wonder
if they are dispersing their flock. That's a lot of Reds to sell at one time.
And the price is way too low. I wonder if an old farmer died and the relatives are
selling off his flock? If the flock has been sold, see if anyone can find out who bought them.
Best,
Karen

Chickens Red Sussex
Your feedback helps everyone in the Kijiji community. Thank you.
When they joined Kijiji
Phone number (if available)
View Poster's Profile
Contact Poster
Kijiji filters and masks emails for security reasons.
Avoid fraud by meeting all sellers in-person to pay for items. Kijiji
does not offer any transaction or payment services. Read More Safety Tips
Date Listed
08-Jan-17
Price
$5.00
Address
Lone Butte, BC V0K1X3
Offered By
Owner
Selling 45 Red Sussex hens and some heritage birds $5 each . Also 3 Roosters free.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/10...ex/1229624949?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hi
got word from people on the ground in B.C. Looks like this is a flock of hybrids which the hatchery they came from calls Red Sussex. Not an obscure flock sigh. Oh well, was good to check on them anyway. That explains the low prices.

I have 2 silver sussex pullets that I'm not sure how I got them. I have 2 light sussex hens and I had a light Sussex rooster in the pen with them. The rooster suddenly died, so I collected the eggs for a few weeks in an attempt to hatch some offspring from them. It turned out that only a few of the eggs were fertile. I was hatching a lot of eggs at the time and after the hatch was finished I didn't end up with any light sussex chicks. It's now 5 months later and I realized that a couple of the pullets that I thought were just some random breedings turned out to be silver sussex. My question is, was my rooster a split, or are my two hens split. Or, how did I end up with silver sussex. All these birds were from greenfire farms, I believe. On another note, one of my light sussex hens molted into what appears to be a somewhat frizzled appearance after her first adult molt. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom