The Sussex thread!

are you sure you don't mean coronation Sussex instead of Silver Sussex?
Light Sussex and Silver Sussex are not built on the same genetic allele. If your Light Sussex was split to Silver Sussex, I think it would show up as a mismarked Light Sussex. However the Coronaton Sussex is simply the Light Sussex with the added Lavender gene. One can have Light Sussex which are split to Coronation and still have the Light Sussex look like the proper color. Both Light and Coronation Sussex are built on the eWh ( Wheaten) gene,
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
are you sure you don't mean coronation Sussex instead of silver Sussex?

If your question is directed at me. I definitely mean silver sussex. If they were coronation, it would be much easier to explain. This is the big mystery that I don't understand how I got what I got.

I got a beautiful photo of my beloved Libby today, and I just had to share it. This might be my favorite chicken pic yet!!! So sweet <3 I love her.

Last edited:
If your question is directed at me. I definitely mean silver sussex. If they were coronation, it would be much easier to explain. This is the big mystery that I don't understand how I got what I got.
Hum,
I don't understand it either.
Best,
Karen

They are black patterned red mille fleur...it looks something like this:

e^b/e^b CoCo MhMh momo

Hope this helps! I taught my kids about it, too! You should have them play with the chicken calculator, too, I bet they'd love it! Mine did.

http://kippenjungle.nl/

Enjoy!

no, Speckled Sussex are built on either the eWh ( Wheaten) allele or the e+ (wildtype) allele. eb is the Brown allele. Oher countries may use the eb (Brown) allele but here in the USA we use the eWh or e+ alleles. The allele is the basic canvas upon which the other colors and color modifiers are painted.
when both notations of the allel are the same, it means the chick has 2 copies of that allele or it is "pure" for that allele. When the 2 alleles are different, it means the chick has one copy of each and is heterozygous for those alleles. A chick with heterozygous allele like e+/eWh can't be depended upon to reliably reproduce itself. A Punnett Square can show all the possibilities.

So the basic allele for a speckled Sussex would be:
eWh/eWh= a yellow chick. with maybe some faint broken stripes on it back like a chipmunk.
e+/e+ = a chipmunk striped chick with a darker arrow coming up the nape of the neck and across the top of the skull from back to front..
e+/eWh would be a yellow chick with fainter stripes.
A chick with e/b in its allele makeup would show a brown helmet
on its head. That is not seen in Speckled Sussex.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
​no, Speckled Sussex are built on either the eWh ( Wheaten) allele or the e+ (wildtype) allele. eb is the Brown allele.  Oher countries may use the eb (Brown) allele but here in the USA we use the eWh or e+ alleles. The allele is the basic canvas upon which the other colors and color modifiers are painted.
when both notations of the allel are the same, it means the chick has 2 copies of that allele or it is "pure" for that allele. When the 2 alleles are different, it means the chick has one copy of each and is heterozygous for those alleles. A chick with heterozygous allele like e+/eWh can't be depended upon to reliably reproduce itself. A Punnett Square can show all the possibilities.

eWh/eWh= a yellow chick. with maybe some faint broken stripes on it back like a chipmunk.
e+/e+ = a chipmunk striped chick with a darker arrow coming up the nape of the neck and across the top of the skull from back to front..
e+/eWh  would be a yellow chick with fainter stripes.
 Best,
 Karen

Oh my goodness, you're right. So sorry, I was mixing it up with something else. Duh! Thanks for fixing my mistake.

​no, Speckled Sussex are built on either the eWh ( Wheaten) allele or the e+ (wildtype) allele. eb is the Brown allele.  Oher countries may use the eb (Brown) allele but here in the USA we use the eWh or e+ alleles. The allele is the basic canvas upon which the other colors and color modifiers are painted.

e+/eWh  would be a yellow chick with fainter stripes.
 Best,
 Karen

So to be safe they are
e+/e+ CoCo MhMh momo

Back
Top Bottom