The Sussex thread!

Hi, I have two coops with sussexs in them. One has 7 light sussexs hens and 1 light sussex rooster and the other one has lavender, coronation and silver hens and coronation roosters and a silver rooster. In the light sussex coop there are 2 hens and a rooster which have snot on their beaks and sneezing a lot and 2 other hens that sneeze a lot. The other coop is fine and they are all healthy. The chickens have been getting worse. This started about 2-3 weeks age. It has been raining a lot and been a little cold in the morning. What do I do to make them all healthy again. I do live in Australia if there is any difference in things between countries. Also the light sussex hens are 30 weeks old and only one that i know is laying and it is laying about 2 eggs a day. In the other pen there is 14 hens and they are laying about 2-4 eggs a day. The most of the silver hens are laying and one of the coronations are laying too but non of the lavenders are laying and most of the coronations. Is there anything that i should do to make them lay more or are they just to young. I give them yogurt which is i think is making the ones which are laying lay more and i am giving them apple cider in there water. The light sussex hen is laying about 2 eggs a day. Every time i see it in the egg box and it hopes up there are two eggs under it and same with one of the silver sussexs in the other pen. That is all i know that helps them become healthier and lay more eggs. If anybody can help me with any of my problems that would be great.

check over on the black copper Marans thread. there is an Aussie there name chooksman . he's very active on byc and can probably help you right away with your problem.

I'm in the USA and I don't know what kind of products you have in Australia to treat your birds... but chooksman will. he's just a real nice sharing guy. he'll help you out.

Can you tell me what that you would treat them with in America. Also when i went in the coop just then there were lots of watery poo spots. I lived in America for 3 years.

I see chooksman helped you over on the Marans thread. that's great . he's such a nice helpful person . I'm glad you got the help you needed .
have a good day ,
Karen

New to chickens and have 4 speckled Sussex in my mixed breed flock of 15. They are five weeks and I've read some about how the amount of white breast feathers might indicate gender. Is there much to this? I have two with minimal white on their breasts and two with almost fully white breasts. In all other ways they seam to be the same.

Vs this:

Back
Top Bottom