The Sussex thread!

Quote:
OMG ... that is just precious! You are right ... it has to be a girl!
big_smile.png

My Sussex group has been in their own coop now just less than a week. The first two days we only got one egg. I was afraid I had messed them up and they would stop laying now. I have seven hens....only 6 look as if they are laying right now. One little hen is a bit behind from an accident. The last two days we have had 5 eggs each day. I was surprised at one that is very big for a Sussex! I will wait another week or so before gathering up for hatching eggs. I can't wait for more of this breed. I seriously need a second roo so that will be my goal.

Here are some updated pics of my Light Sussex who are between 15 and 19 weeks old. Here is my big roo, Sonny.

34566_suxxexes.jpg

Here is the whole flock, eight in total. I have 3 roos and 5 hens.

34566_suxxexes-2.jpg

I got them from Paul Bradshaw on Nov. 22nd. I still can't decide if I am going to keep them or not. They sure are pretty things!

Mary

Yea! More grandbabies! I gotta say tho those wyandottes are real wimps compared to the sussex when it comes to snow and cold tho! It's been in the 20's this week (after low's of -33*F!)so I've been letting everybody out and the wyandottes go out for about 5 minutes and head back for the coop but the sussex are out ALL DAY LONG! (Me too!) I just had to shoo them back in the coop so I could lock em in for the night! I was getting cold!

003-1-1.jpg

I am trying to decide between speckled sussex and Buckeyes...how is the sussex's laying habit? about what color are the eggs?..light to dark brown and about what size..
right now I have Partridge Cochins,Cuckoo Marans,Salmon Faverolles, and mille fleur bantams..I am building a new hen house and dividing it in parts to I can stand about 2-3 more breeds.

D'Angelo N Va. :

I am trying to decide between speckled sussex and Buckeyes...how is the sussex's laying habit? about what color are the eggs?..light to dark brown and about what size..
right now I have Partridge Cochins,Cuckoo Marans,Salmon Faverolles, and mille fleur bantams..I am building a new hen house and dividing it in parts to I can stand about 2-3 more breeds.

My Speckled Sussex are beautiful birds and are great foragers, they fairly well, though not quite as good as my Barred Rocks, and they lay medium sized, light brown/ cream colored eggs. I you would be interested in some hatching eggs, just let me know and I'd be glad to add you to my contact list.​

The thing I have noticed about Sussex is the lack of Standard Speckled Sussex. You can get Amazing Light Sussex, buff, etc. but very few Speckled Sussex even approach the standard. Have any of you ever seen birds that came close to what the Standard calls for? Someone told me that their color pattern is very hard to breed. I do not know if that is true or not. I still am fascinated by this breed.

Back
Top Bottom