The Sussex thread!

Metella,
He went to a friends house. My friend keeps Jersey giant/ cochins. His hens are huge and Big Max(like a small turkey) his roo doesn't tolerate silliness. If Ruho (the bad roo)starts anything those big girls will put him in his place. My friend has taken in several mean ones and most get an attitude adjustment then learn to play nice.

I don't have buff sussex but my speckled sussex girls are great. Friendly and full of character. Probably one of my favorite breeds. Wikipedia says they are like light and silver sussex if that helps your search.

@Philadelphia Phlock: have you queried the NY Chicken Lovers list here? There might be somebody who knows somebody or something over there. Best of luck! (Hope you find some Sussex there, I'm looking to move to Upstate NY & will be searching for Sussex when I finally get settled myself!)

good idea! I lost the rooster that I was planning to breed to the SS girls last night. An owl took off his head. So I guess I will wait for spring!
Maybe you don't have to wait. Try the Members's Directory at the Parent club American Sussex Breeders Association. Many of them chat right here on BYC but I don't know their nicknames.
http://americansussexbreeders.webs.com/
Here's a gentleman in NY State with Speckled Sussex:

James V. Guyette
Red Hook, NY 12571

[email protected]

joined Feb 16, 2013
Speckled Sussex
Here's a gentleman in PA, not sure where but if it is NW PA, might be driveable:

Sigar Paolini
( no variety listed)
Forest City, PA

[email protected]
joined May 01, 2013
Also put out a general yelp for help to the several Sussex lists here on BYC. Your cock is half your flock. Someone out there has a stunning one for you they need to rehome.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I would like a little help on sexing a Speckled Sussex. I'm not real familiar with this subject as I just started getting some birds 3 months ago. This one is right at 11 weeks. I hope it is pullet as purchased. Any help is appreciated.

Any light Sussex breeders in Oklahoma? Maybe you have chicks, pullet or hen for sale for a 4-H youth that wants to show? I am in NE Oklahoma and looking for any within a reasonable driving distance. Any info is very appreciated! If you might be in or around or just not too far away and are just now hatching but wouldn't mind selling a chick or two I would be interested. Thanks!

I would like a little help on sexing a Speckled Sussex. I'm not real familiar with this subject as I just started getting some birds 3 months ago. This one is right at 11 weeks. I hope it is pullet as purchased. Any help is appreciated.

The feathering is telling me its boy.
hmm.png
I would check with someone else too though. I'm not quite sure.

Thanks for your the thoughts. I really can't read this one. It is really a great bird and very friendly. It is quite vocal but I would not call it crowing, more like a rumbling clucking noise if that makes any sense. I really have not been around chickens since I was young so can't remember. It was hand picked by the breeder but she got one wrong with my Marans so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom