The Sussex thread!

Looks like my one photo didn't load properly, here it is again. Hope it works!

Thank you so much!!
big_smile.png
I talked to the farm owner today for a bit and he said a nice varied flock would be good too.

Our flock will be little so getting too much variety isn't going to happen, but I think I'm going to go with 2 Barred Rock, 2 EE, 3 Speckled Sussex and 3 Silver Laced Wyanotte. 10 will be a good little flock for us. I'm so excited I can't stop thinking about them. I still have a little over a month before our "chicken day". I can't wait!! I'm going to create a when I get them. I'm going to create a diary of their progress.
big_smile.png
Week by week at least. I think they will be about 1-2 weeks old when I get them.

We can't wait to see pictures of your babies. And you have a great mix there! Our EE laid a nice big egg basically everyday (she passed a few months ago) and our SS does as well.

I just picked up my first flock of 6 girls this weekend. I am totally enthralled!
1f60d.png
One of which is a Speckled Sussex above. She's the littlest of all the girls, but is quickly showing she's the top of the pecking order. I picked them up from a breeder at a livestock sale, it was rather crazy and busy, and I had to make my decisions quickly.

Since bringing my SS home, I've realized she has quite a few feather missing from her tail and lower back. She's about 11 months old. Is this normal? Maybe from being with a rough roo?

Also, as you can see in the pics, she has a pretty big comb, bigger then most photos I've seen. I'm not worried that she's a roo, I saw the Roos and they were huge with gigantic combs. Do I need to be worried about this in the winter? We live in Canada, it gets cold!
2744.png
2744.png
2744.png
2744.png
2744.png

I would say if you are nervous about it, put some Vaseline or diaper rash cream on it. That seemed to do the trick for us.
smile.png

I'm really hoping she's a tomboy! Big legs, tall stance, lots of presence, challenges the mirror.... But only two weeks old today :) we'll see what next week brings! She's already getting lots of white so not SQ but with this much attitude, she'll be a fun one.

I'm really hoping she's a tomboy! Big legs, tall stance, lots of presence, challenges the mirror.... But only two weeks old today
smile.png
we'll see what next week brings! She's already getting lots of white so not SQ but with this much attitude, she'll be a fun one.

Only time will tell. We thought our girl was boyish too.

Back
Top Bottom