The Sussex thread!

Good morning ,
well I have some good news. I found the farmer to whom I rehomed my flock of show quality pure English strain Light Sussex a couple years ago when an 80 ft. Pine tree fell on my grow out pen. Carl Thompson in Blairsville, PA has done a wonderful job with them and I got my hatching eggs 2 days ago. he's agreed to sell eggs from the flock .
they are still pure, he has not crossed them with any other strain.
I have a genetic history of the flock as I founded it so several years ago and can send it to anybody who might be interested. Please private message me on BYC .it has to come through BYC because that's where I have it parked and I'm doing all this on my cell phone. I don't know how to get it off the computer through the cell phone.
if you're interested in these birds they are inbred and line-Bred on three time APA Grand Champion studcock ,"Senior", now deceased . The original Boese trio consisted of a male and 2 females all sired by Senior out of 3 different Boese hens. The gene pool is a judicious mix of the Walt Boese and the Sandra Ross pure English strains of show quality light Sussex . The Ross hen ,with which I did the strain cross several years ago, was a proven show winner, placing first second and third at the shows . Both sides of the Breeding program have proven show winners close up in the pedigree.
Carl gave me permission to put his contact info on the net .
his name is Carl Thompson , his phone number is 724 459-0447. Carl is an old-time farmer and does not have the internet . He bred prize-winning Penciled Rocks for decades
You'll probably have to leave a message and then, he'll get back to you.
Being pure English, these birds will have slightly larger pantaloons than you are used to seeing on APA light Sussex. It is correct for the English strains and they do not look like Orpingtons.
thanks a lot for reading and have a good day!
Karen in Ligonier, Pennsylvania

Last edited:
3riverschick, that's fantastic! And a great story, to boot!

Faraday40, yeah, don't do business with that store any more. That's a nightmare! If you get 15 birds, Cackle's shipping isn't bad at all. You have to get at least three of each type but that's good for you to choose which ones you like and sell the rest (or go in on an order with neighbors). The hen in the wheelbarrow is a Cackle bird, for example. They grow up nicely.

The great breeder Outram said he liked to see the young males a bit high on the leg. That later they settled their carcasses down on their legs just right.
Go to hathitrust digital library and look up Sharpe : " The Sussex Fowl "
or "the book of the Sussex " they are the same book . see what he has to say about selecting youngsters . He was the man who created the Light Sussex, but his selection parameters apply to all the varieties.
Best,
Karen.

Back
Top Bottom