The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
hey everyone....the birds i got from bryce are getting bigger...i will have pics later...they will be put out in there coop later as well...once i move them out then i will get some pics...looks like i have two maybe three females....and the rest males....so im going to pick the best male and not sure what im going to do with the rest....hmmm....any suggestions on how to determine the best male and what to look for...

I would keep at least 2-3 in case of an emergency. It's harder to get a good male than it is to get a good female.

As far as what to look for: I like to first look at the toes. Pick out the ones with the most black.
Secondly, look at the earlobes. Make sure none are light int that area.
Thirdly, once they are about 3-4 months old, pick out the ones that look more like a "svart." Sometimes one or two will end up having longer tailfeathers and a more straight body which makes them look gamier.

Some of these critiques can't be made until they are older through: patience is a virtue in this case!

I would keep at least 2-3 in case of an emergency.  It's harder to get a good male than it is to get a good female. 

As far as what to look for:  I like to first look at the toes.  Pick out the ones with the most black.  
Secondly, look at the earlobes.  Make sure none are light int  that area. 
Thirdly, once they are about 3-4 months old, pick out the ones that look more like a "svart."  Sometimes one or two will end up having longer tailfeathers and a more straight body which makes them look gamier. 

Some of these critiques can't be made until they are older through: patience is a virtue in this case! 

Do you have any females for sale??? Right now I have all roosters. Although I do have hope for a few eggs I have in the incubator...

Hi, no females for sale at the moment.
I have chicks hatching pretty regularly and I've got some young juveniles but I'm only willing to sell them in pairs IF I even have any pairs left. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss

I'm trying to get a hold of DCchicken,I paid him a deposit towards svart honas from him for this spring and I msg him in January and this past week, haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard from him? I need a better svart rooster. The blue earlobes are just making me not happy from my svart from gff.

dc chicken disappeared...he hasnt been on in a long time...you can check out his profile on here and it will tell you the last on date....bummer news on the svart gff...hope mine dont turn out like that...well the svarts from bryce as so big and they are starting to get that color in the black when it hits the light...so pretty for sure....here are some pics...thanks again bryce..great guy everyone...and great stock....cant be more happier...

some of the birds from bryce....its the count...three females and six males...at least i have a starting point with good stock...so happy thanks again bryce...so excited to see them grow....cant wait..someday for the first egg...haha...well have a great day everyone

dc chicken disappeared...he hasnt been on in a long time...you can check out his profile on here and it will tell you the last on date....bummer news on the svart gff...hope mine dont turn out like that...well the svarts from bryce as so big and they are starting to get that color in the black when it hits the light...so pretty for sure....here are some pics...thanks again bryce..great guy everyone...and great stock....cant be more happier... some of the birds from bryce....its the count...three females and six males...at least i have a starting point with good stock...so happy thanks again bryce...so excited to see them grow....cant wait..someday for the first egg...haha...well have a great day everyone
I heard DC was banned due to opinions on the AC thread...

figured i would chime in...two of the four from gff...i should be using in the breeding program...well see how they look when they get older...never thought i would free range a 100 dollar bird or 200 dollar bird...but they will look cool in the barnyard flock...lol...going to be weird seeing an easter egg with fibro traights...or a polish and so on...lol...soon the backyard will be covered with black birds...chickens that is...haha...well looks like out of the 8 cemani i might be keeping only two that will be breeders...hoping one male and one female but we shall see...

figured i would chime in...two of the four from gff...i should be using in the breeding program...well see how they look when they get older...never thought i would free range a 100 dollar bird or 200 dollar bird...but they will look cool in the barnyard flock...lol...going to be weird seeing an easter egg with fibro traights...or a polish and so on...lol...soon the backyard will be covered with black birds...chickens that is...haha...well looks like out of the 8 cemani i might be keeping only two that will be breeders...hoping one male and one female but we shall see...

If you have any extras let me know. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom