The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Has anyone else hatched a silkie feathered SH? I have 2 or 3 in the brooder that are 7 -9 weeks old that appear to be silkie feathered. They were hatched from the same parents - an all GFF trio - direct from GFF. Other than the feathers, they look like very nice, all black SH. There is zero chance they are mixed as the only silkie feathered birds that I have are only 2 months old and they are Silkied Ameraucanas, not Silkies.

I know the SiAms all started from 1 bird that had a spontaneous mutation, not the result of a mixed breeding. So if I had only 1 chick showing it I would think it was the same sort of thing. I only hatched 15 chicks from this particular trio before I lost the cockerel to flystrike, so 2 or 3 from the same parents tells me that both parents were probably carrying the recessive silkied gene.

Has anyone else hatched a silkie feathered SH? I have 2 or 3 in the brooder that are 7 -9 weeks old that appear to be silkie feathered. They were hatched from the same parents - an all GFF trio - direct from GFF. Other than the feathers, they look like very nice, all black SH. There is zero chance they are mixed as the only silkie feathered birds that I have are only 2 months old and they are Silkied Ameraucanas, not Silkies.

I know the SiAms all started from 1 bird that had a spontaneous mutation, not the result of a mixed breeding. So if I had only 1 chick showing it I would think it was the same sort of thing. I only hatched 15 chicks from this particular trio before I lost the cockerel to flystrike, so 2 or 3 from the same parents tells me that both parents were probably carrying the recessive silkied gene.
Interesting. I've got my first SH under a broody. Mine came from Bryan at BJ's, which I believe are also GFF lines. I'll keep you posted in about 15 more days, if all goes well.
fl.gif

Well, I run a Svart Hona rooster on a mixed flock. I had some fertility test eggs out of him hatch last night. Looks like 1) He is fertile. 2) My less dominant Bielefelder rooster slipped a few in too.

Well, I run a Svart Hona rooster on a mixed flock. I had some fertility test eggs out of him hatch last night. Looks like 1) He is fertile. 2) My less dominant Bielefelder rooster slipped a few in too.

Well--so far, so good! My first SH hatched today. She's ADORABLE!!!
Congrats to you both!
clap.gif

Has anyone received a woolly (silkied) Svarthona chick from GFF or hatched any? I have 3 that I hatched from an all GFF trio and heard from someone who received a woolly chick direct from GFF. I have confirmed that the woolly variant does occur among the Swedish population, but I don't know how prevalent it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom