The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
Quote:
Nope never heard from them. In my email I told them there was alot people here on BYC looking for any info on these chickies.
Can't wait to see what we all ended up purchasing.
lol.png

I used the contact form too. still nothing. Maybe they are overwelmed with emails from everyone who bought TTs:rolleyes:

Quote:
That one looks like a cornish rock cross. AKA Jumbo cornish. Typically if feed is not restricted, their body will outgrow the weight their legs can hold and they will either break or twist. If restricted feeding is done I have known people to raise them up to adulthood and they just have to restrict feed forever on them or they will gain weight like crazy. The ones I have seen live to be 2 maybe 3 years old and then they end up dying at that time. It is possible to keep one but they are nothing more than a pet really. They lay eggs rarely from what I have been told. They were bred to be strictly a meat chicken ready for the skillet in 6-8weeks. Most other breeds it is 12+ weeks.

My tetra tints (think I have 7 or 8) are all very streamlined and not bulky. They fly extremely well. Even over 6 feet up and these guys were bought the 1st week of March. They love to perch on anything and were running all over the brooder and making my whole side porch a disgusting mess! Had to put a wire top over them to stop them. Trust me they are not happy about it. I believe they cuss me everytime I go out to feed and water them. Mine are not all that tame, but I do not handle my chicks either (I have way to many to handle). Mine are pretty flighty about any movement at all. My RSL's were the same way as chicks and now the one is a escape artist and she will peck on my back door each morning to let me know they want some cracked corn thrown down to keep them busy.

Tetra Tints are just another commercial hybrid strain developed for egg laying.

A good example are ISA Browns, they are a specific strain of red sex-links. There are many; Bovans Brown, Hisex Brown, Tetra-Americana, Shaver Brown, Dekalb Brown, Babcock Brown, etc.

These are all patented or "owned" commercial hybrids that are available for commercial production.

They most likely aren't just a mix of two breeds but of more as the developers are working on improving the breed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks...I can not believe just how many diffrent production breeds there are...really a little overwhelming for a newbie.Everytine I think I have a grasp on the many diffrent breeds....I find more!
hide.gif
I don't want them to be the mass egg producers..not going to eat them...am happy with the egg production of my 3 ladies now..and would like to keep that. Whatever my little ones are..they are cuties!

Quote:
now if we all knew who "owns" them, so we all could get some info like how long do they live, how much to feed, egg production
What happens if they encounter a roo? what would the chicks be?

Quote:
Thanks...I can not believe just how many diffrent production breeds there are...really a little overwhelming for a newbie.Everytine I think I have a grasp on the many diffrent breeds....I find more!
hide.gif
I don't want them to be the mass egg producers..not going to eat them...am happy with the egg production of my 3 ladies now..and would like to keep that. Whatever my little ones are..they are cuties!

Technically they are not breeds. They are hybrids. To be classified as a breed, the animal has to breed true. These are all just "mixes" or mutts if you will. They are just developed for maximum egg laying capacity in a commercial setting.

If you breed them you will have "mixes" for babies, they will probably have somewhat of a higher egg laying capacity than say a RIR or Barred Rock, but again they will just be mutts.
smile.png

Quote:
Didn't offend me at all. I myself am new to chicken raising thing. After reading your reply i searched on BYC about hybrid chickens and breeding, cross breeding thats enough to make my head spin. Question what would happen if a Tetra tint roo and Tetra tint hen mated from what I gathered you would not end up with a TT chick. Am I correct? Its sorta like you can't take a seed from a hybrid pepper plant and grow it because it won't produce true.

Back
Top Bottom