The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
According to the chicken lady at my local TSC, the Tetra Tints are a longhorn/RI cross that lays a cream-colored egg and they are supposed to be better egg layers than anything else they carry. She said they couldn't tell roos from pullets, so they must not be sex links. The hens mature around 5 lbs.

That's good info at least! I was at TSC yesterday and the guy couldn't give me any info. He even tried looking them up on the net for me!

Quote:
I think that your "chicken lady" might be a little off on what was used to make the Tetra Tints and what is or is not a Sex-link
wink.png

First off a Leghorn rooster crossed with a R.I. Red will make a sex-link it is called a Feathering Sex-link Cross. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208
Now
as far as Tetra Tints being a, "Leghorn/R.I. Red" I think there is more to the breed than just that.
Note that most Tetra Tints have a off color Off Yellow to a Greenish color leg with some having mottling to the legs. That is not something you get from crossing a Leghorn with a R.I. Red.

I think that your TSC "Chicken Lady" is just blowing smoke rings on what the breed is, sorry.

Chris

Last edited:
At my tsc they had a bin that said pullets leghorns and tetra tints..so I said to the guy how do u know which ones are leghorns and which ones are tetra tints, he said oh those all in there are tetra tints..all each and every single one of them were creamy tan to white with black spots

So I grabbed one..I haven't a clue what it is..lol

Quote:
I think that your "chicken lady" might be a little off on what was used to make the Tetra Tints and what is or is not a Sex-link
wink.png

First off a Leghorn rooster crossed with a R.I. Red will make a sex-link it is called a Feathering Sex-link Cross. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208
Now
as far as Tetra Tints being a, "Leghorn/R.I. Red" I think there is more to the breed than just that.
Note that most Tetra Tints have a off color Off Yellow to a Greenish color leg with some having mottling to the legs. That is not something you get from crossing a Leghorn with a R.I. Red.

I think that your TSC "Chicken Lady" is just blowing smoke rings on what the breed is, sorry.

Chris

Perhaps you did not notice, but I did not say RED in my post and perhaps you are unaware that there is a white RI. She did not say it was a longhorn/RIR cross, but a longhorn/RI cross. If they are crossing both white chickens, a am pretty sure a sex link would not result, but the cream colored egg is a logical result since the longhorn lays a white and the RI lays a brown. For more on the RI White, see here.

Whether the information is accurate or not, I can't say. I simply wanted to pass on the information I was given. I personally have no interest in the Tetra Tints other than sheer curiosity and it seems to be they are nothing more than a poorly executed publicity stunt on TSC's part. If you are going to put the effort into getting a supposedly "exclusive" breed, you ought to at least train your staff to be knowledgeable about what they are so they can drum up excitement for them. In addition, our local TSC allegedly received fliers for the breeds they are selling from the parent company, so I don't know why so many stores are so unfamiliar with what they are selling. You would think they would post these fliers near the brooders. Our store handed them out to customers and ran out, expecting the company to send them more, but they haven't. Perhaps next year they will think to keep some to post in the store.

I called Mt. healthy about some issues about buying chicks at T.S. They told me if you buy as hatched (assorted) any breed you will more than likely get all roos. I bought 6 Barred Rocks as hatched and all were roos. the tetra tints are shipped to their hatchery to distribute to T.S. only. They do not sell them through their co. to the public. I will not ever buy as hatched chicks at T.S. again.

Quote:
wink.png

Now

Chris

Perhaps you did not notice, but I did not say RED in my post and perhaps you are unaware that there is a white RI. She did not say it was a longhorn/RIR cross, but a longhorn/RI cross. If they are crossing both white chickens, a am pretty sure a sex link would not result, but the cream colored egg is a logical result since the longhorn lays a white and the RI lays a brown. For more on the RI White, see here.

Whether the information is accurate or not, I can't say. I simply wanted to pass on the information I was given. I personally have no interest in the Tetra Tints other than sheer curiosity and it seems to be they are nothing more than a poorly executed publicity stunt on TSC's part. If you are going to put the effort into getting a supposedly "exclusive" breed, you ought to at least train your staff to be knowledgeable about what they are so they can drum up excitement for them. In addition, our local TSC allegedly received fliers for the breeds they are selling from the parent company, so I don't know why so many stores are so unfamiliar with what they are selling. You would think they would post these fliers near the brooders. Our store handed them out to customers and ran out, expecting the company to send them more, but they haven't. Perhaps next year they will think to keep some to post in the store.

Wolfracing posted a response from the hatchery in a post here, and they claim it is a longhorn/RIR cross. If you read further in the thread, another poster has actually crossed the two and she posted pics of the adults.

Quote:
I am not sure...I had never even given a thought that they were white lehorns. until another member mentioned it...once I researched the breed I realized they looked just like them..I thought they were the Tetra tints..but they are pure white..and have the larger tails and long wings...their legs are yellow and look nothing like the other tetra's posted...if that is the case with the white leghorns...I am from Maine and have really cold winters...if they are not cold hardy I wonder how they will do next winter..yikes!! Lesson learned..next year I am buying them mail order so I know what I am getting!!

Back
Top Bottom