The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
Quote:
Perhaps you did not notice, but I did not say RED in my post and perhaps you are unaware that there is a white RI.

First of RI is just a abbreviation Rhode Island, Not a Rhode Island White (R.I. White) so I amused the you were referring to the Rhode Island Red because there is not one hatchery that has true R.I. Whites.
If the Tetra Tint was truly a Leghorn/ R.I. White (true R.I. Whites Rose combed) then ALL the offspring would be Rose Comb.

If they are crossing both white chickens, a am pretty sure a sex link would not result, but the cream colored egg is a logical result since the longhorn lays a white and the RI lays a brown.

As for the color of egg if they were a Leghorn/R.I. White cross then they would lay the same color egg as some Production Reds since some lines of Production Reds are a R.I. Red with Leghorn blood added and yes the would still be a Sex-link.
Quote:
For more on the RI White, see here.

I know about R.I. Whites, while doing research and studding the Rhode Island Red breed I also did some studding on the R.I. White breed since the R.I. Red and the R.I. White both have the same standard even though they are two different breeds.

If you are going to put the effort into getting a supposedly "exclusive" breed, you ought to at least train your staff to be knowledgeable about what they are so they can drum up excitement for them. In addition, our local TSC allegedly received fliers for the breeds they are selling from the parent company, so I don't know why so many stores are so unfamiliar with what they are selling. You would think they would post these fliers near the brooders. Our store handed them out to customers and ran out, expecting the company to send them more, but they haven't. Perhaps next year they will think to keep some to post in the store

I agree that TSC should have more informed people working there. Most of the people they have working there relay have no idea about livestock and or poultry and tend to give out false and incorrect information.

Chris​

Last edited:
Chris09, you are welcome to argue the matter with the hatchery who has allegedly confirmed they are longhorn/RIR crosses. I only have the information I was given. I have requested additional information from TSC (the company, not just the local store) and I don't mind passing along their response if and when I get it.

In regards to the RI whites, I don't know a thing about hatcheries, but the breeders I have met refer to them simply as RI's. On the other hand, I have never heard breeders or sellers refer to RIR's as simply RI's. Who am I to argue with those most intimate with the breed?

I HAD to buy 3 tetra tint chicks along with 7 others from TS this month, I can't wait to see what they will be like. I shouldn't go into that store this time of year.

Ok so my tsc lady said these WERE sex linked. I got 6, didnt want that many but she isnt very clear on va law (she gave me 12 in total) she had a shirt on for 4h chicken club, you would think SHE would know what sjes doing. She said they were pullets. They jad two bins one was " assorted pullets" all looked like gold comets and "tetra tint pullets". Anyways, i was told by a friend who used to work at tsc that if you keep your receipt and it says "pullets" and you get roos they have to refund your money.

And yes everyone i have ever known who boughtvstraight run ended up with all roos. Its been my luck as well, no more straight run for me.

Idk or care what the cross is. Their temprament is awesome. Mine fly to me in the morning and will perch on my shoulder while i do my chores. I love them. Way better personality than my rsl's.

Quote:
Chris09, you are welcome to argue the matter with the hatchery who has allegedly confirmed they are longhorn/RIR crosses.

Now are you stating that they are a Leghorn/ R.I. Red cross or a Leghorn/ R.I. White cross as in you post #175?
And what hatchery said that they were a Leghorn cross?

On the other hand, I have never heard breeders or sellers refer to RIR's as simply RI's

I never said they did, I said
Quote:
and when I said
Quote:
I was referring to the State not the breed.

I don't know a thing about hatcheries, but the breeders I have met refer to them simply as RI's.

roll.png

Most all the Breeders I now and associate with call Rhode Island Reds by there true breed name Reds or by the APA American Standard of Perfection listed name Rhode Island Red because they know that there is two breeds (three varieties) that have Rhode Island in there name.

You can believe what ever your "chicken lady" at your local TSC says but I believe that she is blowing a lot of smoke.

If you like to read more on the Red breed you can find more about theme here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294
http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=redforum
http://www.showbirdbid.com/joomla/redclub/
http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
That RI Whites might be a possibility was my own speculation based on what the lady said and your indication that it couldn't be reds. I stated in post #178 that I had found a post stating that the hatchery says they are longhorn/RIRs. I included a link to the post in question and several posts that follow it show the results of a longhorn/RIR cross bred by a BYCer. The hatchery contacted was Mt Healthy Hatcheries, which is what TSC says they use for the Tetra Tints.

Quote:
I believe she is simply repeating the information she was given by the company, since the hatchery is supposedly confirming the information.

Last edited:
These are my tetra tints.. or should I say.. one tetra tint
just wanna know if this is what ya'lls.. all looked like from TSC

Again every single one of them in the bin- looked like this with the black dots on them.. either on their heads.. heads and back.. or just backs and sides.. etc/ but they all had these little black spots and a darker beige color masking around the face
with white feather wings coming in
2011-05-02143501.jpg

2011-05-02143446.jpg

2011-05-02143625.jpg

2011-05-02143517.jpg

2011-05-02143713.jpg

2011-05-02143542.jpg

Quote:
So cute
love.gif
I remember when mine was that small. Now she is big and beautiful! I hope you enjoy your new TetraTint!

Here is Tetra the day I got her:
78308_tetratint.jpg

And Now:
78308_dscn1503.jpg
(She has a lot of personality
big_smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom