The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

They are cute in their own way in person, but typically looking back at the photos you take during that time, they don't look near as adorable as you thought 🤣

I guess I'm just mean:p. I think they're ugly right then and there. Doesn't mean I love them any less...they're just...going through a phase

Early crowing comes with a cost: more hormones. Which is not something I personally want! LOL.
I guess early crowing is connected with early maturation, and as such, lots of hormones at an age that's not appropriate?

I'd seen where some with super early crowers theorized that as well, but I'm not so sure. 🤔 The meanest cockerels I ever had (the Marans I mentioned before) started crowing at a pretty normal age, I believe 8 weeks or so but I'd have to check through my thread and see if I said anywhere there to be sure. Those Marans genuinely made me fear for my safety entering that pen. They became soup because I couldn't justify letting anyone else take on such aggressive cockerels even with full disclosure of their behavior.

I guess I'm just mean:p. I think they're ugly right then and there. Doesn't mean I love them any less...they're just...going through a phase

I think I probably am more lenient on their 'ugly' phase because of this beast of a Brahma cockerel I had some years ago. Compared to this half-naked mess of a dinosaur, none of them seem all that ugly to me during that phase anymore 🤣

Umru.jpg
Umru sun bath.jpg

I'd seen where some with super early crowers theorized that as well, but I'm not so sure. 🤔 The meanest cockerels I ever had (the Marans I mentioned before) started crowing at a pretty normal age, I believe 8 weeks or so but I'd have to check through my thread and see if I said anywhere there to be sure. Those Marans genuinely made me fear for my safety entering that pen. They became soup because I couldn't justify letting anyone else take on such aggressive cockerels even with full disclosure of their behavior.

I think I probably am more lenient on their 'ugly' phase because of this beast of a Brahma cockerel I had some years ago. Compared to this half-naked mess of a dinosaur, none of them seem all that ugly to me during that phase anymore 🤣

View attachment 3835513View attachment 3835514

8 WEEKS?! Ummmmm that's WAY too early for me. Even Lady Gaga was older when he crowed! I'm not so sure on that hypothesis either, but doesn't hurt to theorise

Oh my gosh, that guy is HILARIOUS🤣

View attachment 3835513View attachment 3835514
I have 2 about that stage right now 🤣 yeah, pretty rough looking :rolleyes:

8 WEEKS?! Ummmmm that's WAY too early for me.
The earliest crower I ever had was about 14 weeks old. I had 5 different bantams breeds / about 17 cockerels from hatchery eggs over the past 10 years. About ⅔ left before they started to crow. 2 stayed long enough to fertilise some eggs.
Unfortunately the ones I kept, all became too loud and didn’t keep their beak shut early mornings.

Back
Top Bottom